gettin in the groove

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
878 posts
I'm home yet have not picked up a dulcimer. So, the groove has not been got. Yet. :)

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Dusty Turtle
@dusty-turtle
4 years ago
900 posts

At the risk of being banned from FOTMD, I have to report that the term "in the groove" is actually old jazz slang anda sexual metaphor. Without being too explicit, being "in the groove" meant getting to third base. So am I in the groove today? Well, a gentleman never tells. Smile.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

Ain't no money in poetry; that's what sets the poet free.
I've had all the freedom I can stand.
-- Guy Clark
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
4 years ago
452 posts

I don't know about me "gettin' in the groove." The 1971 Sylvan James, Gassaway, WV dulcimer came today, and I had a hard time getting the strings to stay "in the groove" on the nut. Gotta figure out how it's supposed to be set up and get some different strings, so maybe tomorrow I'll be "in the groove" with it!

Rob

Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
512 posts

Now I wonder who that would be Robin?3.gif

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song.'

Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
878 posts
Anybody "gettin in the groove" today? I'm not home right now. . . Sometime after get home, though, I've got plans to and get my favorite guitar picker to join me.

--
Robin T
one of the Moderators here :)
Keep a song in your heart!
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
1,789 posts
I think 'the Groove' has much to do with the ancient draw of The Drone.Yeah speaking of wearing grooves in your noter-here is a blog post I wrote about this subject, with a cool photo of my old retired noter stick with spiral grooves worn in it from the hundreds of hours zipping up and down the strings:My old noter (Look towards the end of the post for it)And here's a picture of said noter:

Carson, I hope you heal up quickly....ouch!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
8 years ago
122 posts
Everyone's heard that saying huh?....ya know.....musicians concentrate so much on the music at hand that they "get in the groove"...Well sir....I think that saying originated with noter style dulcimer players...f'real....like....after a noter is used for a while the strings wear a "groove" .....for me anyways that string groove comes in handy b/c I like to grab ahold of a string & pull it towards me...raises the pitch a little..creates a little tension....Rained here this morning....no work today....think I'll get in the groove for a little bit... : )....
updated by @randy-adams: 01/12/16 02:45:30PM