Thomas F Johnson Dulcimer?

pmundy
@pmundy
6 years ago
5 posts

Sorry for the delay in sending out a sincere thank you for the responses. I'm sending the info to my wife's friend so she can pursue further if she wants. Thanks again.

Phil

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
6 years ago
134 posts

They may not be, despite the same name and same middle initial and both having interest in guitars. Be interesting to pursue it further. 

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

In the 1981 Directory of Contemporary American Musical Instrument Makers Thomas F Johnson is shown as a full time instrument maker since 1967 with one employee.  He made guitars and dulcimers.  I don't think the North Texas State instructor is the same one.

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
6 years ago
134 posts

I believe this is who you are asking about: http://music.unt.edu/faculty-and-staff/thomas-johnson

I would not hesitate to contact him via his email on that website.  Good luck. dulcimer

updated by @kusani: 01/27/18 08:03:54PM
pmundy
@pmundy
6 years ago
5 posts

My wife's friend bought a dulcimer at an estate sale. The label inside says Thomas F Johnson Classical Guitar Construction Rte 5 Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin Jan 1976. Has anyone heard of this builder or is any one familiar with his dulcimers. The picture I have would seem to indicate the dulcimer is probably walnut and has heart sound holes.