razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
I think you've got it -- the one in this latest eBay ad has the scroll knocked off, and it's probably a lower-end model, but many of the details are right.Mako guitars are mostly Japanese knockoffs of Gibson and Fender electrics, last made in the early 80s. Label looks like the same Mako, to me. That's OK by me; my son speaks Japanese, and when his buddy comes over again to buy his next American guitar, they can show him their Japanese dulcimer.
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
Where was the antique store, and do you still have it? I don't remember seeing a name in the one I bought in Oregon (also at an antique store) -- don't think it was all that antique, but that's where it was. I didn't hang onto it very long, but I still have visiting rights.
razyn
@razyn
15 years ago
40 posts
I posted this spruce and rosewood dulcimer in the Photos area 2-3 days ago -- also brought it to the attention of the Dulcimer Making group -- but haven't yet had a nibble.The "Photos" listing has a long comment, if anybody bothered to click on it. I guess I'll paste that in, too. The photo ID of Lisa(1 or 2) is not the name of the instrument, but of my daughter-in-law in CA, who owns it. Anyway, I just figured out how to post a picture, as distinguished from a Photobucket url, within the text of a message. (Click on the little camera... duh.) So I'm doing that.

[Previous caption:] "Does anybody recognize this -- by maker, or otherwise? Top is spruce, with binding like a nice guitar. The fingerboard, head and tail are (I think) walnut. Back is rosewood, perhaps even Brazilian, though I'm not sure. I bought it at an antique store in Gresham, OR in about 1995 or so, and gave it to my son's girlfriend as an engagement present. (And she's now the mom of 2/3 of my grandchildren, including the cutie in my avatar.) I thought someone here might be able to identify its source."It just seems reasonable to me that somebody, most likely on the West Coast, might recognize the work of a luthier (or, if there is such a thing, a dulcimier) this competent. In the absence of actual knowledge, any hints or theories are welcome.Dick
updated by @razyn: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM