Brass instruments

MandaPanda
MandaPanda
@mandapanda
3 years ago
5 posts

Ex-brass player here! I majored in euphonium and minored in piano in undergrad (was a music education major), and played for several years after graduating. Once I left music ed as a profession, I moved toward instruments that were more fun as a solo player -- piano, uke, autoharp, and now dulcimer. I still love my wind band and brass band music, though, and I still have a lot of connections in the brass world!

If you like folk music on brass, check out Percy Grainger, Gustav Holst, Vaughan Williams, Malcolm Arnold, Edward Gregson, and Philip Sparke. They're the kings of British brass band and folk music!!

YeahSureOK
YeahSureOK
@yeahsureok
4 years ago
11 posts
That's cool. My dad, a piano virtuoso, recently got a Native American Flute. I tried my hand at it. That's a challenging little instrument.
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

I'm not a brass instrument player, but I'm a retired saxophone and flute player. My involvement in band from age 9 has caused me to want some continued connection with wind instruments. As a result, I play Native American Flute(s) now. 

updated by @susie: 01/04/20 08:26:09AM
YeahSureOK
YeahSureOK
@yeahsureok
4 years ago
11 posts

Are there any other brass instrument players out there? I've played the trumpet on and off since I was 12. One interest of mine, as a hardwired experimentalist, is trying to figure out jazz/classical tunes on dulcimer and folk tunes on trumpet. I'm not great at it, and it's probably not for everybody, but it's alot of fun, and I actually get some pretty cool results every once in a while.