Were Roger Nicholson works published?

Jon Boyer
Jon Boyer
@jon-boyer
12 years ago
4 posts

Wow great! I could only find Musicks Delite. Guess I have to keep hunting.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Ok, after some very diligent searching I managed to find and purchase "Nonesuch," "Musick's Delight," and "The Dulcimer Archive;" this last one from 1997, an autographed 1st edition (one has to wonder if they sold enough for a 2nd edition.) They weren't cheap, but, hey, it's only money. I have received "Nonesuch" and "Archives" and it's interesting to see the changes in the arrangements over the 20 years between them. I've been having fun trying to get them halfway right (maybe.) His original pieces are quite the lesson in both composition and arrangement as well as in playing.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Jon, that's the album I have. Glad you got a book. I haven't been able to find one. Not only Ionian tuning but no 6 1/2 fret either. Love his arrangements as well as his playing.

Jon Boyer
Jon Boyer
@jon-boyer
12 years ago
4 posts

I see what you mean on his tabs. Seems to be all there except for actual notes. Well just have to pick up the melody from his albums or another source. He is definitely a good excuse to get back into Ionian tuning though. I found a copy ofMusicks Delight on the Dulcimer online and ordered. I have his album Gentle sound of the Dulcimer. It really impressed me.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

John Henry, that's the way his early tabs in DPN were as well. Some of them are very hard to read

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

A point of minor interest re 'Nonsuch for Dulcimer'. It was produced showing only tab, abeit a complex tab , showing hammer ons , pulls, slurs and slides, and with a detailed explaination of how to use same.

JohnH

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Jon, there was one more in the 90's which was sold by Moore, who wrote the "Eurotunes" column. I've been trying to find an email address for him, so far without success.

Jon Boyer
Jon Boyer
@jon-boyer
12 years ago
4 posts

Yes I checked the old DPN issues and found 2 books mentioned:

Nonsuch for Dulcimer and Musicks Delites on the Dulcimer Stratchwood Music 1974. I saw these in Vol 1 number 7 November December 1975.

R N Lackey said:

Jon, there were also at least 2 songbooks published. You'll find ads for them in some of the old DPN issues which Ken referenced, but I've never seen them. Would love to get my hands on them, too.

Rob

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Jon, there were also at least 2 songbooks published. You'll find ads for them in some of the old DPN issues which Ken referenced, but I've never seen them. Would love to get my hands on them, too.

Rob

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Thanks Ken ! I have learnt something today ( and found a pic of my son and I from way back!!!)

John

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,124 posts

Roger had a lot of things published in the early years of Dulcimer Players News. You can browse the Archives here:

http://www.dpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=544&Itemid=106

When the Archive was part of Everything Dulcimer, there was a better Index of the early years, but that has gone away since the files reverted to DPN.

There are several tab books of medieval/renn music for dulcimer.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
12 years ago
258 posts

Hello Jon, I have a copy of Roger's 'Nonesuch for Dulcimer', Scratchwood Music, dist. by EMI Music publishing Ltd, 138/140 Charing Cross Road, Lindon WC2H OLD All that info is NEARLY AS OLD AS I AM, SO CANNOT VOUCH FOR IT !!! I personally know of no other published stuff, but there are at least a couple of members on this site who may know more, ie John Shaw and Dave Kirpatrick (sp?)

come back to me if you get absolutely stuck3.gif

JohnH

Jon Boyer
Jon Boyer
@jon-boyer
12 years ago
4 posts

Does anyone know if the late Roger Nicholson's dulcimer pieces were published in sheet music or tab form? Would really like to get my hands on some. Big fan of medieval/renaissance pieces on both fretted and hammered dulcimer.

updated by @jon-boyer: 07/31/23 07:00:17PM