Forum Activity for @john-c-knopf

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
10/04/26 09:21:02PM
493 posts

An Embarrassment of Mountain Dulcimers


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Ken, would that be the official phrase describing more than a few dulcimers?  An "embarrassment" of dulcimers?  Seems inappropriate for a grouping of lovely songmakers.  How about a "loveliness" of dulcimers? grin

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
09/14/26 04:53:21PM
493 posts

ISO seeking McSpadden Ginger


FOR SALE:instruments/music items/CDs/Wanted to Buy...

Lee Ann, somehow your message didn't arrive here.   Please try knopfjc1(at)juno(dot)com

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
09/13/26 02:03:17PM
493 posts

ISO seeking McSpadden Ginger


FOR SALE:instruments/music items/CDs/Wanted to Buy...

Lee Ann, it's not a McSpadden Ginger, but I have a little 22" VSL dulcimer that I built in 2022 available if you're interested.  It's walnut with a buckeye top, which resembles birch or poplar.  It has 4 machine tuners and a 6-1/2 fret.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
09/08/26 08:46:46AM
493 posts

Deodorizing, for lack of a better term


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

Congratulations, Aditi!  You have some nice instruments there. 

As for deodorizing, I'd suggest exposing them to sunshine as much as possible-- wind and sun deodorize to some extent.  Or there's Febreze spray, which has helped me in situations over the years. And in extreme situations, there are disaster-relief places like Belfor that can treat them with ozone or some such substance.  After a devastating fire at a place where I worked, they took our furniture and document files and treated them so that they didn't smell like smoke anymore.  Hope this helps!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
09/02/26 01:36:56PM
493 posts

The Positive Thread...


OFF TOPIC discussions

The dulcimer in the video is NOT a Troublesome Creek dulcimer.  It has a guitar-style head, whereas the Troublesome Creek dulcimers have the short scroll head, with violin-type tuning pegs. 

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/30/26 03:03:14PM
493 posts

Questions regarding two dulcimers I got from an auction


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

All of these strings may be old or rusty.  If they aren't new, consider replacing them with the same types.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/25/26 09:20:33PM
493 posts

Fly high, Dolly Parton


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

She was a truly UNIQUE woman, full of extraordinary talent, drive and love.  And she played dulcimers!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/14/26 07:17:43PM
493 posts

Traditional dulcimer makers


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

And that shape is "a little sexier" than the other ones!  Ooh-la-la! winky

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/14/26 02:11:11PM
493 posts

Traditional dulcimer makers


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

Wally, I don't know about Prichard's sales methods, but I haven't heard of him using a push-cart like Ed Thomas did. 

I thought Prichard used "sales reps" for his sales?

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/14/26 09:19:22AM
493 posts

Traditional dulcimer makers


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

Tony, I use two .012" plain steel strings and one .022" wound steel string on my Thomas models.  The tuning is either CGG or DAA, and used only for noter/drone style of playing.  I have used 8-gauge and 4-gauge music wire before to make strings, and these are very close to those other diameters.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/13/26 02:03:19PM
493 posts

Traditional dulcimer makers


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

I can build you an Uncle Ed Thomas dulcimer to order anytime you'd like.  Walnut or painted poplar.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/06/26 07:03:52PM
493 posts

Traditional dulcimer makers


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

Tony, that is what I specialize in!  I make reproductions of several types of historic dulcimores from over 100 years ago.

You can see my website for info and video/sound clips.  I think I can help you.  www.knopfdulcimers.com

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
08/06/26 07:00:49PM
493 posts

Is this Ruggs and Jackel fixable?


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

The problem is indeed fixable, if not by you, then by an instrument repair technician. 

I would recommend removing this bridge, and replacing it with a new bridge with the exact specifications of this one.

Best wishes on a successful repair!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/22/26 09:10:19AM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Thanks, Lisa!  I'm all about traditional looks and sound here.  As you know, these critters are available through my website:   www.knopfdulcimers.com

Old-time enthusiasts are just a click away from owning a re-created piece of dulcimer history!  This is my 16th year of making these exciting old dulcimer designs.  I never thought they'd take off like they did a few years ago.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/17/26 12:08:10PM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

John C. Knopf:

Thank you folks for the compliments!  A buyer "might" be looking at this post even now. 

If there are more fans of Uncle Will Singleton's work out there, I might be able to accommodate them, in time!

 

Go to  www.knopfdulcimers.com  to see more items!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/16/26 03:03:29PM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Try it again, Robin.  All of this newfangled technology sometimes frustrates me!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/15/26 03:30:13PM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Robin, I recorded a brief video this morning, but I don't yet know how to post it here.  I'll keep trying.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/14/26 11:12:44PM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Thank you folks for the compliments!  A buyer "might" be looking at this post even now. 

If there are more fans of Uncle Will Singleton's work out there, I might be able to accommodate them, in time!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/14/26 07:18:42PM
493 posts

What Are You Working On?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

I've been working on a special dulcimer for the United States' 250th birthday.  It's name is "Eagle 250" and it's a copy of Uncle Will Singleton's design from Viper, KY.  It's poplar with cherry inlays and walnut pegs.  Strictly noter/drone, as all of Will's were back then.


Eagle 250-1.JPG Eagle 250-1.JPG - 172KB
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/12/26 02:13:55PM
493 posts

Box Dulcimer Project


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

That's a darlin', Richard!  Begs to be played and enjoyed!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/08/26 03:55:45PM
493 posts

The Positive Thread...


OFF TOPIC discussions

Wondeful news about your husband, Lisa!  I had that surgery and it was ver helpful to me too.

I'm thankful for all the reports from pleasantly-surprised European soccer fans on Facebook.  They are shocked at how PLEASANT we Americans are, and how friendly and helpful, and what a paradise we live in compared to their home countries.  It makes Americans appreciate their 250-year-old republic that much more.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/05/26 08:49:13AM
493 posts

Sources: strings in bulk


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Shopdad, the wood is 3/8" plywood on top, back and sides, and laminated poplar everywhere else.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/04/26 10:06:16PM
493 posts

Sources: strings in bulk


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Here's a better photo taken in Richmond, KY on my tour of the south.


Eddie at Collier's Music.jpg Eddie at Collier's Music.jpg - 150KB

updated by @john-c-knopf: 07/04/26 10:06:29PM
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/04/26 03:45:35PM
493 posts

Happy Birthday America


OFF TOPIC discussions

Alexis de Tocqueville once wrote "America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great."  Seems to me that this might come true, as we celebrate our 250th birthday as a country.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/04/26 09:15:44AM
493 posts

Sources: strings in bulk


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

I know all about 6'+ VSLs, having made "Uncle Eddie", the 8' long dulcimer!  When you go THAT long, string THICKNESS becomes an issue as well!  I bought the music wire rolls at W.W. Grainger for that dulcimer.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/02/26 10:09:54PM
493 posts

How to dehumidify


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

For temporary use, one could probably throw a few "Desi-Paks" in the instrument case, such as can be seen when electronic items are first unpacked.  Just a thought.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
07/02/26 02:29:12PM
493 posts

Psalmodikon


Site QUESTIONS ? How do I...?

"Blott En Dag!"  Beautiful!  Such a comprehensive overview of the psalmodikon and its construction.  Thank you for this, Alex.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
06/27/26 10:55:54PM
493 posts

Sad news about Wayne Seymour


OFF TOPIC discussions

What a tragedy.  I never met Wayne, but have heard his name in dulcimer circles.  Prayers for his wife's recovery and his family's grief.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
06/12/26 10:39:21AM
493 posts

Does anyone remember the maker, or instrument name?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Sorry, I never heard of, or have I seen, such an object!  I think I would have remembered something like that!

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
06/04/26 10:59:57AM
493 posts

Dulcimer Rescue - Paul Pyle Dulcimer with Cracked Head


Instruments- discuss specific features, luthiers, instrument problems & questions

No forum or group like that here, that I know of.  I think it's up to individuals to rescue such dulcimers.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
06/03/26 06:51:17PM
493 posts

Bad string?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

The wrench (probably 10mm or so) is to tighten the bushing thingy to the inside of the dulcimer peghead.  You'll see how to do it when you remove the offending tuner.  Easy-peasy! winky

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
05/22/26 09:03:07AM
493 posts

Bad string?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

A trip to that dulcimer shop in Mountain View is a wonderful thing.  I was able to meet Lynn McSpadden there once, many years ago, and brought my McSpadden dulcimer for him to see.  He could tell how I played it by the condition of the frets.  Lynn was a talented man.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
05/21/26 09:40:51PM
493 posts

Bad string?


General mountain dulcimer or music discussions

Yes, call the McSpadden folks about this issue, by all means.  And you could try replacing that tuning peg with what we call a "known good peg" to see if the swap improves anything for you.

John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
05/13/26 09:09:42AM
493 posts

Dulcimer effects


Adventures with 'other' instruments...

You're very welcome!  Sam tested one of my creations and give valuable feedback on performance and suggestions on how to improve my design.

1