America's Musical Heritage
General mountain dulcimer or music discussions
www.TheGreatCourses.com has issued a twelve lesson DVD course on the musical heritage of America. Although it does not appear to deal with the Appalachian dulcimer, it may be of interest to some on this forum. The instructor is Anthony Seeger, curator and Director Emeritus of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings.
The description lists the following twelve lectures/lessons:
1. Inheriting America's Musical Instruments
2. American Revolutionary and Wartime Music
3. European Empires and American Music
4. Minstrel Shows and Variety shows
5. Music of American Movement and Dance
6. Hymns, Spirituals, and Chants in America
7. Brass Bands, Powwows, and Folk Festivals
8. American Music of Politics and Protest
9. the Banjo: An African Gift to American Music
10. The Roots of Country Music in America
11. American Piano, Ragtime, and Early Jazz
12. The Musical Gumbo of New Orleans
In essence the DVD course is an overview of America's music, and as such, it may be of interest to some on the forum even though it doesn't deal directly (as far as I can tell) with the Appalachian dulcimer.
Priced at $199.95 retail, it is currently on sale for just $39.95 for the complete 12 DVD course. Enjoy!