As a beginner - which is better?

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Kevin ! From what I have seen of his work you will not be disappointed ! Enjoy your journey, and share it with us, this site is very accommodating to all

JohnH

Kevin Nichols
Kevin Nichols
@kevin-nichols
10 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for the advice. I have traded a few emails with Dave Lynch and ended up purchasing one of his student models today. Now this journey really begins!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 years ago
1,084 posts

Both are good instruments. With the Sweet Woods student you have the option of trading it in later for another model. On the other hand the custom Folkcraft will be a lifetime instrument. That's not to say that the Sweet Woods student can't be a lifetime instrument as well.

There are many places on the Internet where you can get free instructional material for learning mountain dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,426 posts
Hi, Kevin!
When I bought my first mountain dulcimer, I didn't yet know enough to know what features I would prefer in an instrument. It took many months of strumming and listening and learning before I discovered my own preferences. . .
With Dave Lynch's student model, you would have a well- made inexpensive instrument and be able to take all the time you want to explore the various facets of mountain dulcimer play.
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Kevin, without knowing anything about what makes the Folkcraft "custom," and having heard nothing but good things about David Lynch's beginner instrument I'd say go for the Sweetwoods. I got a great deal on my 1st one and, like your post above, I had plenty "left over" to invest in books, records (at the time) and instructional material. See some of Dusty Turtle's posts on this subject; he makes some of the best points I've read.

Kevin Nichols
Kevin Nichols
@kevin-nichols
10 years ago
2 posts
Hello Friends!
I am an absolute beginner with the mountain dulcimer and am looking for my first instrument. I have a couple of options available to me at the moment and am looking for some sage advice.

Working from a budget, I could purchase a student dulcimer from sweetwoodsinstruments.com and have plenty left for instructional material and perhaps seed money for another dulcimer in the future. Another option is for a custom Folkcraft I have found on Craigslist that would eat up most of my budget. Help this newbie with some wisdom of which is the better starting point.

Thanks!

Kevin

updated by @kevin-nichols: 06/11/15 07:40:25AM