I yielded to temptation bought a Dulcinet

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

It also helps to keep the thumb on your left hand on the back of the neck, not wrapped around the side. Looks really nice Scott. Have fun with it.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

I play tenor ukulele, and I was taught to hold the uke above my waist, at a slight upward angle, and to use my right forearm to press the uke against my body. (and relax!) No strap is needed. 

ScottFortney
ScottFortney
@scottfortney
9 years ago
3 posts

Well I yielded to temptation and bought the Dulcinet.  I wanted to experiment with chromatic frets and right now these are going for around $150.

So far it is a fantastic little instrument to explore with and it seems to have a sweet tone.  The chromatic frets are messing with what little fingering I had already self-taught myself.  I do wish it was more "dulicimer" like.  I still haven't figured out he best way to hold it.  I'm thinking of putting a leather tie or some sort of strap.  Any ideas or comments are welcome.

I tuned it to D-F#-A-A so now I have a fine instrument for adding chords to a jam session.  I just thought maybe someone else might want to noodle around with it as well.  Description below.

Dulcinet T, Rosewood, Hearts The Dulcinet™ is a very unique instrument. It is about the size of a tenor ukulele so it is small and light, easy to hold and carry around. It is strung like a dulcimer, but backwards. It has one wound string, and two other courses of lighter gauge steel strings, the bottom course is two strings tuned in unison. There are 19 chromatic frets. The scale length is roughly 430mm or 17". It can be tuned in different ways, but the sweet spot seems to be G3-D4-G4G4.

dnlsrh.jpg
dnlsrh.jpg  •  26KB

updated by @scottfortney: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM