Placement of Schatten outside transducer pickup

Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
8 years ago
28 posts

I stick mine on the back below about the tenth fret. Works well and doesn't get in the way of strumming. In the attached picture I'm using it and you can't even tell it's there.

Phil at StreetFest2.jpg

updated by @phil-myers: 12/27/16 08:35:05AM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Thanks Ken and Rob. Hopefully tomorrow I can start playing with it.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Short answer: as a Schatten Dualie user for 20 years now, both on guitar and dulcimer, it varies from instrument to instrument.  You have to do some experimentation.  

Where Ken suggests is a good place to start.  I usually place mine below the lower sound hole on the right side of the instrument as I'm facing it.  If the bridge isn't at the end of the body, usually sort of beside the bridge.   

It's the best stick-on pickup you can get.   I only wish I'd gotten another 15 years ago when the music store in Salisbury, MD, had them on close out.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

Half way between the edge of the fretboard and the edge of the widest part of the widest bout.  If there's a soundhole go above or below it.    Avoid the place where you strum (most  of us do not strum at the strum hollow).

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

I got a wonderful Schatten Dualie Outside r acoustic pickup for my dulcimer and wondered where the best position to place it would be. Any tips? Thank you!