Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
That might do the trick! Great suggestion! I'll check those out.
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

How about violin tuning pegs? IMHO, they would look real nice on that dulcimer. StewMac has them for $2.99 each.

Steven

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Well Rob, I hope it will be a good player when I finish the repairs! It is a pretty solid chunk of wood and I love that it is a satin finish... Anybody have suggestions for tuners and their installation? Keep in mind this will be a budget repair! I thought of getting those open geared tuners that run like $15 for four, like what they use on cigar box guitars?
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
422 posts

Very nice.  I had one with full width staples. Made in PA by Keith ???.  Played & sounded great. Sold it to another member here who loves it as much or maybe more than I did.

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Thanks Steven! I love finding instruments that need a little work... My girlfriend has a 7 yr. old Little from BBBS, and I'm trying to get her interested in playing, just for fun! :)
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

Nice looking dulcimer! Good luck with the "restoration"...I'm sure it will play and sound great!

Steven

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Ken,
I do believe it to be mahogany, but was a little hesitant due to it being all of the same wood. And was a $50 shop find, I saw no cracks and the body was all solid wood, so I pulled the trigger!
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,073 posts

Very nice looking dulcimer. You don't see many with staple frets under all the strings. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the wood may be mahogany. There's no label inside? Do you know what kind of tuners it had on it originally?

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
7 years ago
65 posts
Found a nice dulcimer that needed a new home! Three string, all solid wood(what kind I'm not sure of...), and needing new tuners and bridge. But should be fun! The weirdest thing, the frets are just wires...
20170210_204848.jpg
20170210_204848.jpg  •  68KB

20170210_204102-1-1.jpg

20170210_204835.jpg
20170210_204835.jpg  •  1.8MB