McSpadden Baritone Dulcimers

Noah Coy Barfield
Noah Coy Barfield
@noah-coy-barfield
6 years ago
6 posts

I dropped one of my McSpadden Dulcimers off at Dusty Strings in Seattle yesterday to have it converted to a baritone.  I'm looking forward to its new sound!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,729 posts

@noah-coy-barfield , I should have pointed out that we have a whole group here devoted to the Baritone dulcimer . You might consider joining and checking out the conversations there.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

My baritone isn't a McSpadden, but I just wanted to mention that baritones (with a quality build, like McSpadden and Folkcraft) have a beautiful voice. I really enjoy playing my songs with the baritone to give a while new sound. I'm betting you'd love a McSpadden baritone.

Noah Coy Barfield
Noah Coy Barfield
@noah-coy-barfield
6 years ago
6 posts

Thanks, Dusty!  The video clip really helped!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,729 posts

By the way, I moved this discussion to the Forum on Specific Luthiers so that it would be more easily located later on instead of getting lost in the General Music category.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,729 posts

@noah-coy-barfield, I had a McSpadden baritone for about a year that I had to sell when I was making another dulcimer purchase that I couldn't really afford. It was a wonderful instrument, with a strong, deep voice.  Here is the video I posted when I was obliged to sell it: 

.  Once I start talking a bunch you can stop watching, but I play a fingerpicking tune and two flatpicking tunes, so you can hear what it sounds like.  

One nice thing about McSpaddens is that they keep their value pretty well.  And they are always well made (unless you get one made from a kit, and then you never know!).

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 05/01/18 08:28:40PM
Noah Coy Barfield
Noah Coy Barfield
@noah-coy-barfield
6 years ago
6 posts

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to playing the dulcimer.  I currently have a couple of standard length McSpadden dulcimers--one from 2013 and one from 1973.  I'm thinking about getting a baritone or bass dulcimer at some point in order to sing along with (I have a deep voice).

Does anyone have any experience with McSpadden's baritone dulcimers?  If so, was it a positive or negative experience?  

Thanks!

Noah