Restringing a scroll head?

Noah Coy Barfield
Noah Coy Barfield
@noah-coy-barfield
6 years ago
6 posts

Thanks everyone for all the help!  It took a couple tries, but I got it.  The next time should be much easier!

Noah

Bob
Bob
@bob
6 years ago
86 posts

Hi Noah,

The strings shouldn't be even touching inside the peg box. Perhaps you strung them incorrectly?

When I install the strings (I am using a 4 string model as example with a photo attachment), I do the two outer strings first; the tuner closest to the nut goes on first and the second closest would go next. Then the third and lastly the 4th string gets installed.

strings.jpg
strings.jpg  •  784KB

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,111 posts

If you know which goes where, it's pretty evident what the channel is

1.  Put on the Bass drone, go to nearest tuner far side

2.  Put on the Middle Drone; go over the bass tuner shaft if necessary to the farthest tuner on the far side

3.  Put on the outer Melody string, go to nearest tuner near side

4.  Put on the inner Melody string; go over the nearest tuner shaft if necessary to the farthest tuner on the near side

Noah Coy Barfield
Noah Coy Barfield
@noah-coy-barfield
6 years ago
6 posts

Hi all,

I put some planetary tuners on my 1973 McSpadden scroll head dulcimer yesterday.  The installation went fine, but I'm having a Dickens of a time trying to figure out how to restring it, though.

Any videos or charts you can point me to?

To be clear, I know how to wind on a string and which string goes to which tuner.  What is stumping me is how to channel the strings so that they are not rubbing on each other.

Thanks!