Wanted: Replacement Friction Peg for Homer Ledford Dulcimer

Woodsmoke
Woodsmoke
@woodsmoke
2 months ago
2 posts

Thank you Dan!

I was hoping to find a/some Homer Ledford-made tuners specifically - but very much appreciate the suggestion.

I considered Warren May (used to visit his shop in the early 1990's) and actually thought about contacting you as well!  (I found a post where you mentioned acquiring an older Homer Ledford dulcimer and making a peg - so I knew you understood the subject).

The dulcimer world is a small one!

I may very well end up contacting Mr. May - but thought I'd see if there was someone who perhaps switched their friction pegs for mechanical tuners, etc. and could part with one or more (nice to have a backup).

I did find today however, that the peg dimensions are different on two different Homer Ledford dulcimers I own - looks like the pegs on the more recent one wouldn't fit through the small/opposite side of the pegbox of the older dulcimer...  Hmm...  I didn't investigate too much as I was trying to respect/enjoy my Sunday - but that's what the caliper indicated...

Well, worse comes to worse, I'm comforted by a photo of Homer playing a dulcimer live that is equipped with mechanical tuners thumbsup - so I suppose I can always go that route if necessary and not feel like I'm doing something he wouldn't approve of.

Thanks again!

updated by @woodsmoke: 03/10/24 11:45:58PM
Dan
Dan
@dan
2 months ago
185 posts

I'd contact Warren May in Berea. His pegs are replicated from the Homer pegs and I know he has plenty of them on hand.

Warren May

Woodsmoke
Woodsmoke
@woodsmoke
2 months ago
2 posts

Hello all, new here/first post. 

I've owned a number of instruments/have changed tuners on instruments in the past, so am aware of replacement options, but I have a Homer Ledford dulcimer that is in need of a friction peg, and I (perhaps like others) would like to have an original/Homer Ledford replacement.

In a book on his dulcimer making, Mr. Ledford noted that '...any peg he's made will fit any of his dulcimers...'

So...  I'm wondering if anyone happens to have one (or more) of his friction/tuning pegs available that they would be willing to sell.

If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Best regards -