Anyone familiar with Unicorn Woodworks dulcimers by J.R. Nicholson?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
11 years ago
1,720 posts

Vivian, I am so sorry I never saw this question when you first posted.

My first dulcimer, which I bought about 4 years ago, is a Unicorn Woodworks dulcimer made by Johnie Nicholson.

When I first decided to buy a dulcimer, I searched for a local luthier. The only one I found (or so I thought) was Johnie Nichoson. At least the area code of his phone number was for Northern California. But when I called I learned that he had moved to Idaho. I was reluctant to buy an instrument without seeing it first, but he explained that he still buys his wood in Berkeley, and a couple of times a year he makes the drive. About four years ago I met him off the highway near Sacramento while he was on his way to Berkeley. I met him and his wife and he showed me about a half dozen dulcimers. I bought one made of mahogany with a spruce top and rose bud sound holes. At the time it cost me $340if I remember correctly. That dulcimer has served me very well. It is very well balanced and has exceptional sustain.

Over the years I have picked up a few other dulcimers, including (like Patricia) a Blue Lion and a Modern Mountain Dulcimer (both of which cost substantially more than the Unicorn). Both of those have much more volume than the Unicorn and especially much more bass response. The Blue Lion is my favorite for fingerpicking and the MMD is my favorite for flatpicking, but the Unicorn is my second favorite for both. I have also come to own and then re-sell other dulcimers, including a Folkcraft, a Laurel Mountain, and a Folk Roots. I think the Unicorn is at least as solid as those better known instruments. The spruce top gives it a warm tone and the lack of finish on the wood helps increase the sustain.

Just today I was reunited with my Unicorn Woodworks dulcimer, nicknamed Rosa because of the rose soundholes. I had lent it to a newbie about a year ago who was interested in playing. Since I was starting a local dulcimer group, I was eager to recruit as many people as I could. She now has another dulcimer, our group is going strong, and Rosa has returned home. My daughter missed the dulcimermore than I did and insisted on holding it during the drive home. I put on new strings and have been playing my old friend for about an hour or so.

I think Johnie makes instruments that are an exceptional value. I doubt there are many dulcimers in the price range that are any better. The only caveat I would offer is that because Unicorn Woodworks dulcimers are not as well known as some others, they don't retain their value the way a McSpadden does. But if you are looking for an affordable dulcimer to play, it is a very good choice.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Vivian Hays
Vivian Hays
@vivian-hays
12 years ago
19 posts

I am wondering if anyone has any input on this dulcimer builder? I saw his dulcimers at a local arts fair, in fact that is what got me started on this whole new interest in learning to play dulcimers, but since I was so unfamiliar with the instruments I was afraid to buy one on the spur of the moment...also, it was so noisy in the building it was hard to get an idea of the sound...I thought they were very nice looking instruments. Does anyone have any input about them? I did a web search and came up with the fact that Mary Youngblood, a recording artist has one of his dulcimers, and he has been building them since 1980. Mr Nicholson and his wife were very friendly and helpful and I played around on several of his instruments, but I was too nervous to just buy one without much information on these instruments in general, not knowing if it was a quality instrument or not, and they were priced from about $400. to over $550.00 for the one I liked, and I had no idea if that was a reasonable price or not.

I was wondering because I have a friend who seems to be interested in trying to learn to play as well, and I thought it would be nicer of we had access to a local builder that was very reputable for her to try an instrument, instead of having to order off the internet. which is what I ended up doing. Thanks! Vivian

updated by @vivian-hays: 02/24/19 11:28:22PM