Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,729 posts

Please, call me Dusty.  Mr. Turtle is my dad. smile

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
rwarren
@rwarren
9 years ago
3 posts

Mr. Turtle

Thanks much for your reesponse.  It is very helpful.

Richard

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,729 posts

Hey rwarren.

Over the years I've used several items from the Happy Traum and the folks at Homespun.  They are all really good.  I used a couple of bluegrass packages (including the 4-hour bluegrass workout, which I highly recommend) and one harmony singing course (by Robin and Linda Williams) as well.

I don't know the Lorrain Lee Hammond dulcimer course, but she was a pioneer in the modern dulcimer and if you are a beginner, that is probably a good product.

I have a copy of the David Schnaufer DVD and can say that it's very good, but he doesn't teach a general approach to the dulcimer as much as teach a series of songs.  I think the only general information he provides is some stuff on playing the major scale both up the fretboard and across the strings. But then he just goes into the songs.  So the Schnaufer DVD would be good only if you want to learn those songs, whereas the Hammond CD set is probably a more coherent introduction to the dulcimer.

Those are the only two dulcimer items I know of offered by Happy Traum.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
rwarren
@rwarren
9 years ago
3 posts

Does anyone have any experience using Happy Traum's Homespun Music instructional DVDS on the Dulcimer?