Dulcimer kits from mid 1970's to early 1980's

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Thank you John! Thank you for looking and comparing, and for your input! I am so excited about trying to figure this out!!!113.gif

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
10 years ago
388 posts

Cindy,

Looking at the new photos of the side of the head and the knob glued on the end, I'd say it's very consistent with early Folkcraft dulcimer design. They've changed designs over the years. The tail end is different than what I'd expect, but the peghead looks very familiar to me.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

John, you have no idea how exciting this isfor me. I was really close to my dad, and with him being gone so long and topossibly figure this out means SO MUCH to me!!!

I can't thank you enough for your help!!!

John Henry said:

Cindy, the vid is taking forever to load, and I need to get to bed (will no doubt be up a few times In the night ) but I have just looked at your latest pics and I would be prepared to bet folding money on yours being a 'kissin cozin' to mine, almost certainly a hand made kit job !!! I don't know where Folkcraft are now, but they were in Winstead CT in '85, if they have moved then records may not have moved with them ?Will review things in the morning, if you think it worthwhile, contact me with a pm ? Exciting, ain't it !

John

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
10 years ago
32 posts

Cindy Stammich said:

Hi Frank,

Do you still have the dulcimer? Just wondering if we could compare photos.

Thank you!

Frank Ross said:

back in the early 70's I bought a kit from the RemBranD Company (their spelling and format) in Newton, Iowa. They sold Appalachian and hammered dulcimer kits. I have searched the internet for more info on the company but find very little. I still have the assemmbly instructions and a 6 page brocureon how to play it.

Mine is an hour glass shaped one - I'm not sure what models sold - will post a picture later

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Cindy, the vid is taking forever to load, and I need to get to bed (will no doubt be up a few times In the night ) but I have just looked at your latest pics and I would be prepared to bet folding money on yours being a 'kissin cozin' to mine, almost certainly a hand made kit job !!! I don't know where Folkcraft are now, but they were in Winstead CT in '85, if they have moved then records may not have moved with them ?Will review things in the morning, if you think it worthwhile, contact me with a pm ? Exciting, ain't it !

John

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Attached are a few more close up pictures of my treasure!

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Attached are some close up pictures of my treasure!

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

Cindy, its late here, I am in my pj's, and my wife is asleep, so I am not working at my limited best ,lol, but am in the process of posting a terrible vid, if it works , i will leave it until you indicate that you have seen it, then delete. I will then endevour to take better pics which I will send to you via email, if you provide the necessary ?

John

Cindy Stammich said:

Hi John,

WELL! I am getting excited - I will post pictures shortly! The small slot underneath the head(scroll) and at the heel end are EXACTLY as you described! Also, the head/scroll and the fretboard are all one piece, and the head/scroll is a very shallow housing for the tuners.

Hmmmmmm Grin.gif

Thank you so much for the details!!!!!

I will post the pictures - please tell me what you think!

Cindy

John Henry said:

Hi Cindy, as you see, John is making the same suggestion as I did in your earlier post "My Treasure" ! I am an absolute duffer when it comes to transfering info quickly on this infernal contraption, so do me a favour, look at (i) underneath the head(scroll) where it joins onto the body. Can you see a small horizontal 'slot', approx 5/8" x 1/8" ? (ii) and then look for a similar slot at the heel end of the instrument, where fingerboard joins body ?

Also, can you tell us/show us if the head/scroll is formed by just the simple flat extension of the fingerboard carried thro' and channeled to provide a very shallow housing for the tuners ?

I have a 1985 Folkcraft (Winstead CT) teardrop, T 39 W, sitting in front of me now and apart from a rather more complicated finish at the tail, it looks the same. The shape and position of the sound holes cetainly are !!!

On balance, it would seem to me that it was either a simplified kit version of the instrument I have, or your dad may have made a close copy of one he had maybe seen ?

I really feel this answer deserves a Deerstalker and a magnifying glass !!! Just hope this helps?

one of the other 'Johns'

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Hi John,

WELL! I am getting excited - I will post pictures shortly! The small slot underneath the head(scroll) and at the heel end are EXACTLY as you described! Also, the head/scroll and the fretboard are all one piece, and the head/scroll is a very shallow housing for the tuners.

Hmmmmmm Grin.gif

Thank you so much for the details!!!!!

I will post the pictures - please tell me what you think!

Cindy

John Henry said:

Hi Cindy, as you see, John is making the same suggestion as I did in your earlier post "My Treasure" ! I am an absolute duffer when it comes to transfering info quickly on this infernal contraption, so do me a favour, look at (i) underneath the head(scroll) where it joins onto the body. Can you see a small horizontal 'slot', approx 5/8" x 1/8" ? (ii) and then look for a similar slot at the heel end of the instrument, where fingerboard joins body ?

Also, can you tell us/show us if the head/scroll is formed by just the simple flat extension of the fingerboard carried thro' and channeled to provide a very shallow housing for the tuners ?

I have a 1985 Folkcraft (Winstead CT) teardrop, T 39 W, sitting in front of me now and apart from a rather more complicated finish at the tail, it looks the same. The shape and position of the sound holes cetainly are !!!

On balance, it would seem to me that it was either a simplified kit version of the instrument I have, or your dad may have made a close copy of one he had maybe seen ?

I really feel this answer deserves a Deerstalker and a magnifying glass !!! Just hope this helps?

one of the other 'Johns'

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Hi John,

Well,a couple of others have said the same thing. I emailed some pictures to Folkcraft but they didn't seem to think that this was the case. I do have to wonder if maybe they didn't have picturesor info going back that far, as I know the company has changed hands.

I am still thinking this may be a Folkcraft.

Thank you for your input!

Cindy

John C. Knopf said:

Cindy, it could be a Folkcraft teardrop dulcimer kit.

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

Hi Frank,

Do you still have the dulcimer? Just wondering if we could compare photos.

Thank you!

Frank Ross said:

back in the early 70's I bought a kit from the RemBranD Company (their spelling and format) in Newton, Iowa. They sold Appalachian and hammered dulcimer kits. I have searched the internet for more info on the company but find very little. I still have the assemmbly instructions and a 6 page brocureon how to play it.

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
10 years ago
258 posts

one of the other 'Johns'

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
10 years ago
388 posts

Cindy, it could be a Folkcraft teardrop dulcimer kit.

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
10 years ago
32 posts

Cindy Stammich
Cindy Stammich
@cindy-stammich
10 years ago
68 posts

I have a dulcimer that my dad built from a kit sometime between the mid-1970's and early 1980's. I don't know where the kit came from and I am not sure we could ever really figure out just when he built it, but I would love tofigure out where it came from. If anyone has any ideas about who may have sold kits I would really appreciate it. My dad passed away in 1991, so this dulcimer is truly a treasure.

Thank you Smile.gif

updated by @cindy-stammich: 06/11/15 07:40:16AM