Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

This video showshow to turn them into loop ends very easily. Smile.gif

Tumbleweed said:

Hi Monica

I have the same problem with my local music stores and it didn't matter if I asked for dulcimer strings or guitar strings or asked by gauge. I couldn't get what I need. I need loop ends and in my area they just don't carry them. I was even told by one store there is no such thing, wow. I have to order them off the internet.

TW

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Thank you for the Suggestion Nicholas. The problem is that the music store doesn't carry all the gauges I want such as .023 phosphor bronze.

But today I put in an order at Juststrings,com

Nicholas Carey said:

IF you need loop-end strongs, it's pretty easy to remove the ball from a ball-end string to make it loop end string. Some strong, you can just pop the ball out:

Other strings might need an assist from a pair of dykes (side cutters) or needle-nose pliers:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Strings/Loops/loops.html

You just want to ensure that you don't kink the wire as that makes a weak point at which the string will fail at significantly lower tension.
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

Hi Monica

I have the same problem with my local music stores and it didn't matter if I asked for dulcimer strings or guitar strings or asked by gauge. I couldn't get what I need. I need loop ends and in my area they just don't carry them. I was even told by one store there is no such thing, wow. I have to order them off the internet.

TW

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Excellent !!

Thank you

Dan

Dan Goad said:

Monica, you miht like this website.

http://www.juststrings.com/

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
My dulcimers are 26" And .012 .014 and .022 are just right but I missed your mentioning a 28" scale. In that case .010 .012 and .022 are better IF your tuning DA dd. If your tuning Daa then the heavier set will be better... Take Linda's advise... Bob.
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
9 years ago
155 posts

Monica, you miht like this website.

http://www.juststrings.com/

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Hi Linda,

At the moment .010 and .014, but its time to change the strings . All I could get here was .011, .015 and .026 loop ends. I spoke with the builder and yes the .026 will be too heavy. wondering about the other 2 now.

Linda W. Collins said:

Monica, For the top and middle strings, are you using .010 and .012? For your fret scale, those may be better than the .012 and .014; however, the instrument maker will advise you on which strings are best. What to watch for, if you use a thicker string, is that the tension not be too much, compared to the other strings. They should all have about the same amount of tension.

Linda

www.cabinhillmusic.com

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

yes i am familiar with those as well

Thanks

robert schuler said:

Those are common size guitar strings, they should have had them. Ask for guitar string's, if you ask for dulcimer they probably don't know what your talking about. I always use D'Adario j64. They are .012 .014 .022. They are loop end... Bob.
Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
9 years ago
25 posts

Monica, For the top and middle strings, are you using .010 and .012? For your fret scale, those may be better than the .012 and .014; however, the instrument maker will advise you on which strings are best. What to watch for, if you use a thicker string, is that the tension not be too much, compared to the other strings. They should all have about the same amount of tension.

Linda

www.cabinhillmusic.com

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
Those are common size guitar strings, they should have had them. Ask for guitar string's, if you ask for dulcimer they probably don't know what your talking about. I always use D'Adario j64. They are .012 .014 .022. They are loop end... Bob.
Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Thanks Ron..Smile.gif

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

My local music store doesn't carry dulcimers and they don't carry .022 or .023 strings. They only have .026 for the bass string. Is that to heavy for a 28vsl?

updated by @monica: 08/01/23 07:08:13AM