Has anyone heard of, or familiar with Loren Powell Dulcimers?

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Other than a grave marker reference, the only other thing I coud find about Powell was a  2014 auction of household goods where the deceased had owned one of Powell's dulcimers.

Southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky from the 20s to the 70s and later, is/was full of "small" builders of dulcimers.  If you can get the instrument for a decent price, George, go for it.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Samurai -- if the tuners don't keep it in tune, the little screws in the ends of the knobs probably need tightening -- start with just a half turn.  Don't crank them all the way tight, just enough so the strings hold tune.

Below is a PDF of revised article I wrote several years ago, called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?  which is an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we all talk about the same things the same way), plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding of your dulcimer.

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/29/16 05:55:23PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,415 posts

It looks cool, George!  I'm glad to see pictures from yet another Ohio maker.  

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

It sure looks good George. How does it sound?

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

In my ongoing search and quest for vintage and hard to find dulcimers, I recently stumbled across a Loren Powell dulcimer, He was from Greenfield Ohio, 1931 to 1999, built dulcimers as a hobby but was supposed to be pretty decent at it, here's a couple photos, has anyone ever played, or owned one, know anything about them?  The wood on it looks nice, top and sides looks to be quilted maple, really like the wood case. Thanks in advance once again.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg  •  135KB

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg  •  285KB

updated by @george-desjardins: 07/31/23 09:07:44PM