Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Salt-springs, thank you for posting this chord chart! I was just at a place of needing one, and voila!! Typical fotmd magic!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Chord chart for dulcimer by David Beede is here:

http://www.davidbeede.com/simpledulcimerchords.htm

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Hi IIshana.........I have tried tab edit, but alas I am too slow to figure it out.....I'll bow to your expertise with that concoction of buttons and stuff.   I have found the chords for  OM Namah Shivaya more or less worked out by players far smarter than I.  Here is a link to some guitar chords:

http://easybhajans.blogspot.com/

However, for almost all the traditional versions that you will find you are going to need a 1 1/2 fret.  Now, all is not lost because those can be added by a luthier or you can use what I call the Jessica Coumeau method, who incidentally is a genius on the MD.  Appears she took a piece of wire or bass string about a 1/2 inch and placed it at the 1 1/2 point and using some Scotch tape held it in place.  I would also think that DGdd would be your optimal tuning for that one.  David Beede another phenominal player posts this chord chart for all sorts of tunings..........I found it very helpful.

Now to be perfectly honest...........chord playing fine, but I really get a hoot and holler out of drone and noter.

updated by @salt-springs: 03/31/16 02:38:10PM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

You might go to you tube and checkout Jack Haas, Eric Olson, Samuel Roberts and Aalok Patwhardan....they have some interesting Mt. Dulcimer Video.  They won't show tab, but will help with technique.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts
 Check Robin Clark's sound clip titled "A Meeting of Souls"......Robin is one of the best players around.......now for the other business at hand regarding Kirtan.........the music can be adapted to fit the chant if you are so inclined.  The one below can be used at least for part of the Om Namaha Shivaya though it will take a little practice and experimentation.  Again it has been 30 years since I worked with this sort of thing.   You can also check some of the you tube posts....there is a post called Divinity-A Musical Odessy.....my goal back then was to play those on Bansuri......did OK but age caught up with me..........do check that you tube post out...it will blow your mind........totally.

Tune DAA/capo on 2/tonic base string will be F#/middle c#/start melody on fret 5 to 6 and/or 9..........this is a good starting place