Kirtan for Dulcimer anyone?

iiloveMD
iiloveMD
@iilovemd
7 years ago
6 posts

Hi, I am back. Thanks for the chord chart. I have been using chord chart books with dulcimer for almost ten years now, my brain simply works better with tabs. I played with the Om Namah Shivaya version Salt Springs sent - sound nice! I also finally purchased a capo and am loving the new range. So, am making some headway. When I have some Kirtan tabbed, I will put it up here. 

Happy Playing!

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
7 years ago
49 posts

Salt-springs, thank you for posting this chord chart! I was just at a place of needing one, and voila!! Typical fotmd magic!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 years ago
199 posts

Chord chart for dulcimer by David Beede is here:

http://www.davidbeede.com/simpledulcimerchords.htm

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 years ago
199 posts

Hi IIshana.........I have tried tab edit, but alas I am too slow to figure it out.....I'll bow to your expertise with that concoction of buttons and stuff.   I have found the chords for  OM Namah Shivaya more or less worked out by players far smarter than I.  Here is a link to some guitar chords:

http://easybhajans.blogspot.com/

However, for almost all the traditional versions that you will find you are going to need a 1 1/2 fret.  Now, all is not lost because those can be added by a luthier or you can use what I call the Jessica Coumeau method, who incidentally is a genius on the MD.  Appears she took a piece of wire or bass string about a 1/2 inch and placed it at the 1 1/2 point and using some Scotch tape held it in place.  I would also think that DGdd would be your optimal tuning for that one.  David Beede another phenominal player posts this chord chart for all sorts of tunings..........I found it very helpful.

Now to be perfectly honest...........chord playing fine, but I really get a hoot and holler out of drone and noter.

updated by @salt-springs: 03/31/16 02:38:10PM
iiloveMD
iiloveMD
@iilovemd
7 years ago
6 posts

Hi Salt Springs,

The youtubes you suggested make me squeal with delight. It is like seeing versions of my own playing. It feels soooo good. I have been playing much like Samuel Roberts for many years, and bean toying with a technique similar to Eric Olson a few months ago. Now, wouldn't it shock you if i said that Jack Haas was familiar too - but nope - that totally blew me away! 

Am now considering getting Tabledit to convert Kirtan sheet music into dulcimer tabs. Perhaps you have some experience there too?

Happy Dulcimering (ever notice that Dulce ("sweet") begins the word?

iishana

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 years ago
199 posts

You might go to you tube and checkout Jack Haas, Eric Olson, Samuel Roberts and Aalok Patwhardan....they have some interesting Mt. Dulcimer Video.  They won't show tab, but will help with technique.

iiloveMD
iiloveMD
@iilovemd
7 years ago
6 posts

KIRTAN MUSIC BOOK with notation  by Natesh

Phenomenal: Notation with drone, harmonium, capo, and other fabulous details. Incorporates Helmholtz pitch notation. Exquisitely laid out - very very easy on the eyes. Just need dulcimer tabs.

http://www.nateshkirtan.com/files/Bliss_of_Kirtan_Music_Book_by_Natesh-LN.pdf

CD and Youtube videos are linked to the book. 

*Consider donating to support this beautifully crafted act of devotion. http://www.nateshkirtan.com/bliss_of_kirtan_music_book/

OM SHANTI OM on Strumstick - Video

Youtube: Strumstick meditation Chant with Christine Stevens

A Kirtan Group that includes the Mountain Dulcimer

Shiva's Garden

updated by @iilovemd: 03/27/16 12:03:15PM
iiloveMD
iiloveMD
@iilovemd
7 years ago
6 posts

Mind blown! 

Robin's masterful mix of the MD and Tanpura two is DIVINE. By coincidence, yesterday I downloaded the iTablaPro App with the idea of combining droned sounds with MD. And, the Musical Odyseey by Ashit Desai is beautiful. 

Now, onto giving your tuning a go for OM NAMAHA SHIVAYA

Tune DAA/capo on 2/tonic base string will be F#/middle c#/start melody on fret 5 to 6 and/or 9..........this is a good starting place

Thanks!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
7 years ago
199 posts

Check Robin Clark's sound clip titled "A Meeting of Souls"......Robin is one of the best players around.......now for the other business at hand regarding Kirtan.........the music can be adapted to fit the chant if you are so inclined.  The one below can be used at least for part of the Om Namaha Shivaya though it will take a little practice and experimentation.  Again it has been 30 years since I worked with this sort of thing.   You can also check some of the you tube posts....there is a post called Divinity-A Musical Odessy.....my goal back then was to play those on Bansuri......did OK but age caught up with me..........do check that you tube post out...it will blow your mind........totally.

Tune DAA/capo on 2/tonic base string will be F#/middle c#/start melody on fret 5 to 6 and/or 9..........this is a good starting place

iiloveMD
iiloveMD
@iilovemd
7 years ago
6 posts

I have yet to hear the words Kirtan and Mountain Dulcimer in the same sentence. Paragraph. Book! I have been playing dulcimer since 2006 and chanting for 15 years and I am itching to add the dulcimer to Kirtan. With its drone string, it seems like it could be beautiful accompaniment. If you too are inspired by the idea, it would be great to share tabs for chants. Some of my favorites are Namah Shivayo, Aiye Guru Maharani, and Bhajanama Ma. What are yours? 

updated by @iilovemd: 04/11/16 01:39:19PM