Lucky find, needs some work, 6 string Edd Presnell

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,426 posts

Wow, George, that is a big critter!  Enjoy! 

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

Well, I got the 6 string Presnell all fixed up, re-strung and tuned. 

Knew about the crack on the back but found some fairly serious separation on the tail in several places. But got some feedback and had all the proper clamps etc. to fix it up, can't even tell there were any issues now!!

I was surprised at how large this dulcimer is. My 1966 3 string is 34 1/2 long, VSL of 29 inches, 4 1/2 inch upper bout, 6 inch or so lower bout, 1 3/4 inch deep body.

The 1972 6 string is 42 inches long, 2 1/4 inch deep body, 5 1/4 inch upper bout, 7 inch lower bout, and a 3 1/4 inch VSL !

Sounds great, I've attached a couple photos to show the size contrast.

I love a success story!

IMG_2294.jpg
IMG_2294.jpg  •  157KB

IMG_2290.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg  •  2.5MB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,426 posts

What a cool find, George! 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,083 posts

George, that is a very nice find. If you can close the crack by squeezing the sides, a little CA glue in the crack and clamp across the body should do the trick.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

Well, I lucked out and found a 1972 Edd Presnell. Overall decent hape, but on the back there is a crack, I was aware of it but had to have it anyway!

I've done some minor Dulcimer repairs and restoration, no Luthier, but was a custom Goldsmith for many years so have lot's of very fine, detail tools.

Looking for suggestions, method that is best to repair that, I am attaching pictures so you can see it,

Thanks in advance, Was surprised by this find, have seen 3 and 4 string Presnells, own a 3 string, but have never seen a 6 string before..

1.jpg
1.jpg  •  183KB

2.jpg
2.jpg  •  296KB

3.jpg
3.jpg  •  430KB

updated by @george-desjardins: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM