7 years ago
1,415 posts

Wow, that is some spider!  :) 

HEWalker
HEWalker
@hewalker
7 years ago
27 posts

I am currently using it set on the first fret but moved  slightly toward the nut....if I flip all the fingers to "off" I can continue to play 1st fret without any issues!   Handy and oh so quick!

Skip
Skip
@skip
7 years ago
359 posts

hewalker, Thanks  for the info. I'm glad you included he photo, it  answers my other concenrs quite well.

HEWalker
HEWalker
@hewalker
7 years ago
27 posts

I must add-although I primarily play dulcimer-I also play around with ukulele and mandolin and hubs plays bouzouki so this mini capo seem to be a real must try!

updated by @hewalker: 10/23/17 05:47:00AM
HEWalker
HEWalker
@hewalker
7 years ago
27 posts

I ordered the mini and it arrived yesterday-loving the flexibility of changing to all sorts of tunings quickly.  It fits great on all the fingerboards I own (checked before ordering) The "fingers" can be removed easily and made to fit even three string dulcimers.  Please continue your comments as you try this-I am curious how everyone feels! I currently have one finger fretting both melody strings and it is the clearest sound I have found while experimenting! (see photo)

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg  •  47KB

updated by @hewalker: 10/23/17 06:25:00AM
Skip
Skip
@skip
7 years ago
359 posts

Thanks, missed that and the width range, 1 1/8-2". I wonder if the fingers can be adjusted sideways, can fit over doubled strings and be set up for 3 or 5 courses.

Bryan Fridlund
Bryan Fridlund
@bryan-fridlund
7 years ago
3 posts

According to the web site the spider capo mini should work on mountain dulcimers.  “The Mini SpiderCapo is for narrow necked instruments. These include, but are not limited to: Banjo, Ukelele, Mandolin and Bouzuki.

Users report that because the SpiderCapo clamps over the fingerboard, and not behind, it can also be used on the Mountian Dulcimer.”

Skip
Skip
@skip
7 years ago
359 posts

I looked at their site earlier today to see if they published any specs. I couldn't find any. I I wanted to find out what the open width is [ 1 3/8 to 1 5/8"], if the fingers are sideways adjustable so they can be placed over different string spacings and if they work on flat fingerboards [I don't use any of the instruments they make them for]. They also offer custom made. If they will work oh MD's , there could be a lot of unique tunings done.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
422 posts

I had never heard of the spider capo, so after looking it up, it is quite similar, but probably better, than one called "The Extra Hand Capo."  I had (and still have) one of those and it was really cool experimenting with the different strings held down with open strings.  Even tho' I don't like capos (they cut off too many frets) I might have to try one of those.

HEWalker
HEWalker
@hewalker
7 years ago
27 posts

Has anyone given the mini Spider a try?  I searched for discussions and didn't find one!

updated by @hewalker: 10/23/17 05:47:38AM