Repurposing bamboo things for noters

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,111 posts

You'd be surprised where you'll find bamboo -- along streams, in weather protected areas, botanic gardens (ask permission).  It's all over the place down here in south Florida.  There's a stand of 6" diameter x 70 ft tall culms a couple blocks away that I didn't notice for over 5 years!  Finger diameter bamboo is everywhere, and most people will beg you to take a dozen culms!

ARiley
ARiley
@ariley
5 years ago
2 posts

Ken -- Chicago! Any bamboo growing around here is somebody's darling little houseplant :) 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,111 posts

Great idea, but those bamboo crochet hooks may be too small of diameter to make a good noter.  Worth the try anyway.  

Where do you live with no bamboo?  Alaska?  Almost every other state but Maine has some native or introduced bamboo.  Want some, I'll send it to you.  

Repurposed noters -- the malachite pestle of a mortar & pestle set that I picked up in Mexico many years ago;  ball point pens, of course; 1/4" Delrin dowel; glass swizzle stick; 3/8" brass tubing; a test tube; sea shell (worthless); shaft butt of a goose quill.  

Too bad you didn't make it to our Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering back in May.  Next year's Gathering will be in Berea, KY May 14-17, so mark your calendar.  LOTS of noter & drone players, no Festival fee, tons of hands-on, one-on-one playing, learning, and all around fun!!  Check out the flyer here from this year's Gathering.  To be put on our mailing list, send an email to:  berea.traditional.gathering@gmail.com  

ARiley
ARiley
@ariley
5 years ago
2 posts

I just had a thought - I have a handful of bamboo crochet hooks that I don't use anymore -- they can have a new life as noters!!

For those of us whose climate means no bamboo in the back yard, what have you repurposed to serve as a noter? 

updated by @ariley: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM