Steeleye Span with electric dulcimer on Germans TV 70s show

jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

Frank Dudgeon:

Thank you so much for posting this.  I was lucky to see Steeleye Span a couple of times "back in the day" when they were in their prime, when I lived in Boston, Massachusetts.  Fantastic video.

I envy you. The current lineup is still quite a great live band as far I can tell from youtube although Tim Harts Dulcimer and Peter Knights fiddle are surely missed. 

Their new fiddler Jessie Mae Smart is a great fiddler in her own right though. And the "young blood" (not only her, there are others as well) gives some nice changes to the sound even without Dulcimer ;)

Peter Knight now concentrates on his gigspinner projects where he combines folk tunes with afro beat, see this incredible rendition of "The King of the fairies":

Enjoy, Jost.

Frank Dudgeon
Frank Dudgeon
@frank-dudgeon
2 years ago
14 posts

Thank you so much for posting this.  I was lucky to see Steeleye Span a couple of times "back in the day" when they were in their prime, when I lived in Boston, Massachusetts.  Fantastic video.

jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

The TV show Rockpalast is still running today. It was started in Germanys public radio/tv WDR (Westgerman Broadcasting Westdeutscher Rundfunk) in the 1970s. Every episode features another show from a band/single artist. Most of the times they were actual live shows  other times (like this Steeleye Span show) they were recorded "live" in the studio.

For real live shows they often recorded them in the Dortmund Westphalenhalle since the WDR is located in Cologne. Both cities (Dortmund and Cologne) are large citys in the state   North Rhine-Westphalia. 
The Westphalenhalle used to be quite popular as venue for big names of show buisness. 

Youtube has a lot of these shows although mainly all kinds of Rock music.

So looking for Rockpalast episodes will often lead to live material with good audio/video quality :)

Tricia
Tricia
@tricia
2 years ago
6 posts

Wonderful ! Thank you for posting this. I am long time fan of Steeleye Span, but did not hear this show before. Very enjoyable.

jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

Hello,

somebody posted this in one of Facebooks dulcimer/Steeleye Span groups. Great sound and video quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAHuI-2YYG8 

Enjoy, Jost