Gebhard Woods Dulcimer & Traditional Music Festival

TheresaSC
TheresaSC
@theresasc
2 years ago
11 posts

Ken Hulme:

Ron makes some very nice, sweet sounding dulcimers, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.  I've not been to Gebhard Woods, but the Festival has a long history and you should be very welcomed.  My advice is to take whatever classes appeal to you, regardless of the so called "skill level" listed.  Take the beginner classes, of course, but don't feel that you should only take those.  One day, down the road, something will happen and you'll go "THAT's what that teacher at Gebhart meant!

A number of years ago I wrote a booklet called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? .  It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimr terms (so we all speak the same jargon), plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new 'friend'.  Here's a link to the booklet to download or read on line:

Ken Hulme's "I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?" Article - Strumelia | fotmd.com

Anytime you have a question, feel free to ask them here,  There are no dumb questions, just ones that you haven't gotten answered yet.

Thanks for the link, it is a wonderful booklet with such great information.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,124 posts

Ron makes some very nice, sweet sounding dulcimers, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.  I've not been to Gebhard Woods, but the Festival has a long history and you should be very welcomed.  My advice is to take whatever classes appeal to you, regardless of the so called "skill level" listed.  Take the beginner classes, of course, but don't feel that you should only take those.  One day, down the road, something will happen and you'll go "THAT's what that teacher at Gebhart meant!

A number of years ago I wrote a booklet called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? .  It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimr terms (so we all speak the same jargon), plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new 'friend'.  Here's a link to the booklet to download or read on line:

Ken Hulme's "I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What?" Article - Strumelia | fotmd.com

Anytime you have a question, feel free to ask them here,  There are no dumb questions, just ones that you haven't gotten answered yet.

updated by @ken-hulme: 05/29/22 11:02:06PM
TheresaSC
TheresaSC
@theresasc
2 years ago
11 posts

Ken Hulme:

Thanks for posting Theresa.  If a Festival organizer doesn't approach FOTMD and ask to post a Festival announcement in Events, it doesn't get posted.  Too much work for Lisa or the other Admins to keep track of all the Festivals out there. 

Thanks Ken, as I am new to the board and to dulcimers, I was not sure how all that worked.

So, June 11 & 12 in Morris, IL there is a music festival and I for one, can't wait!  I had originally planned to try out mountain dulcimers there, but I was too impatient for that, so I ordered one from Ron Gibson.  Hopefully it will be here in time and I can take it with me.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,124 posts

Thanks for posting Theresa.  If a Festival organizer doesn't approach FOTMD and ask to post a Festival announcement in Events, it doesn't get posted.  Too much work for Lisa or the other Admins to keep track of all the Festivals out there. 

TheresaSC
TheresaSC
@theresasc
2 years ago
11 posts

I did not see any mention of this festival in Illinois.  I am not a member of the sponsoring group, just that it is close enough to me that I am going to go.  It will be my first dulcimer festival and I am hoping that I have my instrument by then.  Is anyone here going?  It looks like there is a nice list of workshops and other happenings.

http://www.gebharddulcimer.org

updated by @theresasc: 05/29/22 04:12:22PM