Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.
@kimberly-c
9 years ago
19 posts

Thanks, Don and Ken! I'll be sure to pass the info along to my sister. Smile.gif

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
1,822 posts

Second vote here for Harpmaker's Student model. I've been messing around with dulcimer for nearly 40 years; played hundreds of different instruments, and IMHO there's not a better dulcimer out there in that $100-$150 price range. I own one that he slightly customized for me a couple years back. It's my 'go to' general purpose dulcimer. Also, he has a trade-in policy if your sister eventually wants something even nicer.

Don Tyo
Don Tyo
@don-tyo
9 years ago
10 posts

Kim, Flat creek Dulcimer in Hardy, Ar. makes a student model box dulcimer for $110. I haven't had my hands on one myself but you are only a 2.5 hour drive from Hardy. That instrument has a 28 7/16 inch vsl very much like your Mcspadden. Just a thought.....

http://www.flat-creek.com/instruments.htm

Don...

Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.
@kimberly-c
9 years ago
19 posts

Thanks, Robin! I'll send that link to Kelley. And I'm goinig to make sure she signs up here on FOTMD!! Smile.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,182 posts

Hey, Kim! David Lynch's Sweet Woods student model is $125 and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Dave's a member here and so is his sister (folkfan). You can see a picture by scrolling down this page:

http://www.sweetwoodsinstruments.com/dulcimers.htm

Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.
@kimberly-c
9 years ago
19 posts

I know if I scrounged around enough on this site, I could probably find where people have made recommendations for dulcimers, but it's just easier to post the question again. Grin.gif

Anyhow, my sister emailed me today telling me she wants to learn how to play the dulcimer! I've rubbed off on her apparently. Smile.gif She asked me what dulcimer I would recommend for her. Of course I would recommend a McSpadden because that's what I have, but she wants to spend only around $150-$200 in case she ends up not sticking with the dulcimer. Could anybody recommend a dulcimer that sounds good and is reliable and easy to play? Thanks!

updated by @kimberly-c: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM