Fun with new Cardboard dulcimer kit

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,126 posts

IMHO, unless you've got really sensitive, perfect pitch type ears, I doubt you'll hear much if any difference between Delrin and horn, bone or wood for the nut & bridge.  There really is no "ultimate nut and bridge material", it's personal preference.  I personally dislike bone/horn because it stinks when you're working it.  Metal vs a softer material does make a sound difference.  I like various hard woods or pieces of thick-walled bamboo for nuts & bridges.

Wood choice is also very personal.  You'll get people who will tell you 'this wood sounds better than that' yada, yada.  There are hundreds of factors which go into the 'sound' of a dulcimer, and wood is fairly far down the list, actually.  A decent luthier can tweak any woods to make an instrument that sounds the way you want.  

When you're ready to jump into building, join the Dulcimer Building Group here, read a bunch of out posts, and ask your questions.  We've talked a number of new builders through their first or fifth build.  

Hunterdude
Hunterdude
@hunterdude
4 years ago
6 posts

Hello all, I am brand new to dulcimer playing but managed to strum out "Mary had a little lamb" on my cardboard dulcimer kit last week!...I plan to try to upgrade the kit as I learn and grow with it (I love to modify things) and at the low price point of this kit it seems I can only do minimal damage with my tinkering.

The first mod I wanted to try was bone bridge and Nut to see if I could hear a difference from the black Delrin Bridge and Nut provided in the kit...sadly the Delrin parts where lost in the construction process, so it's tough to know if my bone parts made any sound improvement...it "seems" a bit brighter and a bit more sustain than the other cardboard dulcimers I have heard on youtube, but I can Not be sure if this is from the recording vs hear mine first hand. I hope to make some Delrin replacements to compare first hand soon.

My next mod will be to construct an all wood soundbox from some Sitka spruce and Spanish Cedar I have in my shop...this will go on a second fretboard so I can compare it to my cardboard model...So far my ears really like the cardboard sound, it's a bit warmer and less "Tangy" than some, obviously this is personal preference, some would say the more Tang the better!? Lol

I would welcome any thoughts or advice, in particular what effect different bridge and nut materials will have on my dulcimer sound and what material might be considered the ultimate bridge and nut material? Also favorite sounding wood would be of interest as well...thanks!

updated by @hunterdude: 03/31/20 05:39:22PM