Dulcimer Shipping

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 months ago
235 posts

I have shipped more with USPS than other shippers mostly out of convenience. I always pay for insurance and I am careful to pack the dulcimer well. Sometimes in a box inside a box.. I use lots of bubble pack. I usually loosen the strings as well. Label the outside of the box fragile--musical instrument. Hope that helps.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 months ago
390 posts

I shipped a large Galax dulcimore from the Detroit area to St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada (Niagara Falls area) in a plywood box using Parcel Monkey.  I took it to a FedEx office nearby for them to send it with the label I printed for it.  Everything went well that time.

Jeannie in Paradise
Jeannie in Paradise
@jeannie-in-paradise
4 months ago
11 posts

I'm wondering which shipping carriers you folks recommend for safely shipping a mountain dulcimer.  Prices vary widely, and some do not offer insurance (UPS & FedEx).  Your experience and recommendations, friends?

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
9 months ago
235 posts

I have found a different source for shipping instruments, books, cd's, or whatever. They ship USPS or UPS, but not FedEx at this time. I have found the rates can be 30% to as much as 60% less than going to the post office or UPS store. The service is free to use. The software by default gives the lesser rate via  xxx, but for $n.nn  more you can ship via  yyy.  There is a provision for pickup at your home or office or another address that is convenient if you don't have time to get to the post office or UPS pick up point.

The service is found at Pirateship.com.  I have used it with good results.