What does anyone know about Rugg & Jackel Dulcimer D50ST?

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

Hey Dusty, thanks for all the great info. I'm looking forward to checking this out when it gets here. supposed to be delivered on Saturday.

And yes Ozark Lady, that is a picture of the one I'm getting, I like finding the older harder to find dulcimers, over Christmas I actually found 3 Warren Mays!

From 1982, 1986 and a much newer one, the two later ones look to be virtually unplayed and came with case, noter and pick, the hang tags were still attached even.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Howard Rugg, who has started building again and even has a website  now, is a member here at FOTMD . You might consider contacting him directly with any questions.

The History page of Howard's website provides a broad outline.  He and his brother Michael formed Capritaurus dulcimers in 1969 and Steve Jackel started working for them in 1972. Over the next few years, they developed a second line of dulcimers called Folkroots which were produced more efficiently (I won't say mass produced since they were still handmade by a small number of people) whereas Capritaurus concentrated on custom builds. In 1975, Howard and Steve formed Rugg and Jackel Music and made the Folkroots dulcimers while Michael stuck with Capritaurus.  By the late 1980s, it all came apart.  Howard and Steve sold the Folkroots brand to Folkcraft Instruments and all three of them moved on to different professional and personal endeavors, but about three years ago Howard began building dulcimers again and has incorporated some new innovations into his craft. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

Hello ozark Lady, Mine just shipped out, hoping to get it by the weekend, real curious to get an up close look, I have no details about it and virtually no info on line as to materials used, date and so on. I'll let you know when it gets here!

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
422 posts

Classic California teardrop.  I can see Neal Hellman playing that one.  You lucky dog!  LOL

There's a thread on ED that's a "history" of the Capritaurus & Rugg & Jackel you might want to check out.

Rob

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Howard Rugg and his partner were Revival era (1960s/70s) builders in California.  They sold under the names Capritaurus, Rugg & Jackel and FolkRoots.  The FolkRoots name was purchased by Folkcraft a few years back, and that company makes a FolkRoots series of dulcimers.

You can contact Howard Rugg (see the Members list here) and he can give you all the information about that particular instrument.

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/22/15 07:45:15PM
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

Looks very well made, I'm eyeing a used one, but know nothing about them, I like the inserts in the soundholes, it's a bit rough, but "normal" wear and tear, I'm seeing that it has ties to Folkcraft, but I have no idea what the woods are etc. Thanks for all the previous info on the Warren May, and any info on this one.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg  •  81KB

updated by @george-desjardins: 07/31/23 09:20:50PM