Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,124 posts

There have been a number of discussions about the Seagull over on ED, and in spite of the company's reputation as a guitar builder, the consensus is that the Seagull just isn't "up to sniff".  The fret pattern is 'strange' at the very least.  It reminded several people of the problems with the 'made offshore' First Act dulcimers a number of years ago...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Hey Ozarklady.

I can't explain why, but the Seagull is made with one full octave, meaning it goes to the 7th fret. However, it has no 6th fret. Instead, it has only a 6-1/2.

Seagull is a fine guitar company. They make very good and affordable instruments. I have a 12-string Seagull that I like a lot. I've also heard that many Merlin owners love that instrument as well. Think of it as a stick dulcimer like the McNally Strumstick, which only goes up to the 10th fret or something. If I were going to get a Merlin, though, I would have a 6 fret installed.

You might consider poking around in the Stick Dulcimer Group here at FOTMD. I'm sure some folks there are more familiar than I with the Merlin.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie