6 years ago
68 posts

This is a beauty!  Congratulations on a great addition!sun

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,082 posts

Great find, Richard. Enjoy your second hand dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
6 years ago
16 posts

Wow! Looks beautiful!

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
6 years ago
64 posts

I agree, Richard, a really nice find.  Good for you!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
234 posts

Don't know why the pictures loaded vertical. They were horizontal on my file on the computer from which I loaded them.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
234 posts

I recently found on ebay a "used" Mountain Valley Dulcimer Smokey River model. I prefer to call it "second hand" rather than used. This dulcimer came in a hard side case (chipboard) and appears to have been unplayed. I'm guessing someone purchased this intending to learn to play and then it was set aside.

There is not a mark on it. No indications the strings have ever been pressed down to the frets. No pick marks. It's made of beautifully grained book-matched walnut. I'll change out the friction tuners for some planetary tuners I have on hand harvested from another dulcimer. The real plus for me is that this '91 modern era dulcimer has a nice, clear, bright sound, which is what I prefer. I can see it becoming the dulcimer I use when playing with the dulcimer club where they like to use capos and other more modern playing styles.

My very first mountain dulcimer was a Mountain Valley Wildwood Mountain model, so this is a nice find for me.

updated by @richard-streib: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM