ginger or 26 vsl

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts
Thanks Dusty turtle , it is getting easier.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,729 posts

Monica, if you have not been playing long, give it some time. Chording involves using and stretching muscles in your hand and fingers that you might never have used before. It may be that a 30" dulcimer will always be too long, but I doubt if you will have trouble with anything 27" or less after you've been playing a while.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Thanks James, I am playing chords and finger picking and I find those stretches are quite challenging and uncomfortable.Playing the ginger is so much easier.

James Phillips said:

The other thing as well Monica to consider is the style you are playing. If you are doing noter/drone, it really does not matter how long the vsl. However, for chording, 27 vsl or so in DAd seems to be the norm for what I have scene.

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
9 years ago
87 posts

The other thing as well Monica to consider is the style you are playing. If you are doing noter/drone, it really does not matter how long the vsl. However, for chording, 27 vsl or so in DAd seems to be the norm for what I have scene.

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Thanks for your thoughts Rob and Robert.

I wasn't playing the full size much, however since I got the ginger I am really enjoying playing. ..unfortunately in Canada there are no local luthier shops where I can try them out. So its all a guessing game.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Monica, A 25-26" scale dulcimer is ideal for tuning Dadd. A 28-29" scale is great for Daa... 28-30" is best for a baritone. Learn to stretch your fingers, over time you will find it easy to play a longer scale..., Bob.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

My 1st dulcimer has about a 30" vsl so I'm probably not one who should comment. However, my hands are small though I was a classical guitarist before the dulcimer. I play many different dulcimers with different vsls. I would get the standard size with the short fretboard. You already have one ginger, so I'd think a full size body is in order. Just my 2 cents.

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

I bought a full sized cherry mcspadden about a month ago and though I love the sound i find it very uncomfortable to play. 1 week ago I bought a ginger cherry from a friend. I am really enjoying it, in fact every chance I have.. I play it. I am 5 3"..though I have long fingers my hands are small I suppose.. I know that I want a walnut next ..maybe with a redwood top. I am debating another ginger or 26 vsl..though I wonder if that too won't be comfortable to play ..any thoughts

updated by @monica: 06/11/15 07:42:40AM