Where to find MP3 files of fiddle tunes

Janet Reed
Janet Reed
@janet-reed
9 years ago
2 posts

Yay! Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you! You've been very helpful.  I had come across a couple of these but couldn't remember the names or how to relocate, particularly oldtown. My google searches for old time fiddle tunes missed most of these. 

Janet

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

Old time fiddle tunes by the hundred, thousands even :

Larry Warren's Sippery-Hill Web Site

Find your tune > right click > Save link as ...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Try this one: https://www.oldtownschool.org/classes/adults/fiddle/tunes/ . I think those are all MP3 files.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Janet, I am no expert on Apple products, but my understanding is that older versions of Quick Time can play midi files.  Try to install QT 7 and see if that works.

Another (more time consuming) solution would be to use one of the many free online audio converters to convert the midi files to mp3 files.  If you put "Free online audio coverter) in the Google search bar, you'll find plenty of options.  Don't use any that ask you to register or demand payment.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Janet Reed
Janet Reed
@janet-reed
9 years ago
2 posts

If I understand correctly, I do not have ABC or midi file capability since I have an OSX operating system. Am I correct?  When I had a PC I used ABC files often to hear how a tune should sound, but now that I have a Mac, I have not been able to find a similar resource that will work with my Mac.  Is there a resource for mp3 files for fiddle tunes?  Do I need to download some kind of extension to make ABC file work with my Mac?  My apologies in advance if this has been addressed before.  Thanks!