Anyone familiar with June Apple Cellomer?

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

Yes, I did get a good deal on it, less than half what it retails fro, (which was still a good chunk) But really enjoying it, thanks for the feedback

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,096 posts

Carl Gotzmer makes very good instruments. Here is a link to the June Apple Cellomer page. http://www.juneappledulcimers.com/pages/Cellomer/ I would not play it as a bowed dulcimer. I would play it as a regular dulcimer. I hope you got a good deal on it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,126 posts

I think I'd treat it as a Bowed Dulcimer -- play it with a bow, upright in your lap like a cello.  Ken Bloom is the "Godfather" of the modern Bowed Dulcimer... www.boweddulcimer.com

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
9 years ago
92 posts

I own a variety of standard dulcimers,4 string,6string,ginger model,banjo dulcimer etc.

I recently found a used June Apple Dulcimer, it is really oversized, it is 45 inches long, 12 inches wide, 2 1/4 deep.

Would this be considered a bass dulcimer? Or is it not really classified because of the odd size.

It has a great big sound, I have experimented with different tunings and it seems to be very fond of minor tunings, I have it tuned in a really odd tuning right now but it is a great haunting ethereal sound to it, C-G-CC.

Here is a photo of the instrument and the possum board I built for it, anyone else ever played one of these? they seem pretty obscure but really nicely built, came out of a traveling musical instrument museum. (At least that's what the salesman told me) :-)

IMG_0552.JPG.jpg
IMG_0552.JPG.jpg  •  204KB

updated by @george-desjardins: 06/26/15 07:38:45PM