Anything anyone can tell me about a 1979 vintage mountain dulcimer from "the Dulcimer Shop"

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

I agree with Ken; you'd have to be really trying to screw it up to make it unplayable.  It's just that some are a lot better than others based on how good the wood working skills were.  I don't believe one would have to be a professional or semi-professional to do a good job.  One would have to be careful.  Since we don't know about the carefulness of the builder, I put the value on the low side.  I'd rather be safe than have to spend more to correct any problems.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,073 posts

There isn't to much that one could do to a McSpadden Sweet Song dulcimer kit to make it unplayable. I built several of them for friends who purchased the kits. They almost built themselves. That said, even if it were not in playing condition, it wouldn't take much to get it up and singing again.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Linda Matocha
Linda Matocha
@linda-matocha
8 years ago
8 posts

Thanks all for your help. I've decided to put purchase on hold for a time. The price is currently not far off, but the problem with it being a kit makes me wonder if it is indeed playable. I may follow up later. Thanks again. Linda

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

I pretty much agree with Rob about the approximate value range.  I'm not sure I would pay over $75.

I bought one once off eBay that was clearly made from a kit (said so right on the label) but the seller withheld that information even though I plainly said, "Tell me everything it says on the label"  When it arrived, it was obviously not anywhere near the quality they produce in their shop, and when I saw "from a kit purchased at the Dulcimer Shoppe", that explained the poor quality. 

McSpadden makes a quality instrument and their kits are good, too--but if you don't do a good job when you put it together, you've got--at best--a 10.00 wall hanger!

I returned mine and got a refund.  I wouldn't buy one unless you could return it for a full refund if it turns out to be junk.

The thing about McSpadden dulcimers is they have a reputation for high consistency in quality.  When you buy an instrument online from them, you might not get something that's very unique, but it will be very well made and it will sound good! 

When you buy an instrument from a kit, you're plunking down cash hoping the person at least followed most of the directions and wasn't too messy with the glue!

Having said all that, my husband is going to make one this summer and it will be "priceless" to me, no matter how it turns out!

Just don't spend too much of your hard earned cash on an instrument whose value is determined by someone who's sentimental about it.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 04/19/16 11:46:01AM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

Without seeing/playing it I would say $100-$150 max.  That would include shipping if it had to be shipped.  I wouldn't give more than that for a kit McSpadden, even tho' many of them are as good as the factory ones.

Linda Matocha
Linda Matocha
@linda-matocha
8 years ago
8 posts

Just called and found out it does have McSpadden name in it. It is a kit with name and date of person who put it together. No other info. It has friction machines. Very little playing. Frets look OK. Only two strings. Came from a relative of the builder. Any ideas? I live too far away to go to it. Any idea on value? Price is firm right now. Thanks again for your help. Linda

Linda Matocha
Linda Matocha
@linda-matocha
8 years ago
8 posts

I will call and see what additional info about it. They spelled SHOP as SHOPPE. It doesn't look like any McSpadden I've seen; so I changed the spelling to SHOP. I really like vintage, but I want to play it--not just look at it. I'll get back with additional info I hope. It looks great in the pic. Linda

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
385 posts

Or is it perhaps from "The Dulcimer Shoppe" in Mountain View, Ark.?

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,073 posts

Um. Linda, what do you want to know? The Dulcimer Shop in Fredericksburg, TX made several different models. Is there a particular dulcimer you want to know about?

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Linda Matocha
Linda Matocha
@linda-matocha
8 years ago
8 posts

updated by @linda-matocha: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM