back up rhythm machines

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Tony, I agree in essence with everything you've said, but I think the drum machines are more versatile than you give them credit for.  With those that you control with foot pedals, you can tap the machine on and off, of course, but you can also tap to different beats, tap to pause while you play something out of sequence, and more.  In other words, you are not as "locked in" as you might imagine but can learn to control the machine very well, even spontaneously.

But still, I find it more impressive when a musician can creat the rock groove or the blues groove or the Latin groove or whatever without using electroni gadgets and only playing their instrument.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

The one I've heard of most is called a Beat Buddy and I think they make a small verson called the Beat Buddy mini.  Basically the device comes with a bunch of preset rythms that it can play but I think you can also record one of your own. You can also sequence them so, for example, you can have a quick drum turnaround sequenced in between two rhythms, and you click with your foot to move from one to the next.

My feeling about this stuff is mixed. I've seen some great performers make use of these devices, and if that keeps the costs down (by not employing a percussionist) and allows venues to hire solo acts that still want to rock out, I understand.  But I'd rather just hear a musician play.  Don't get me wrong; I dig the groove Butch Ross or Bing Futch tries to lay down, and I'm a frustrated rock and roller myself.  But for the dulcimer?  I'd rather hear the dulcimer alone and see what the player can do without all those devices.

If you go to you tube and type in Beat Buddy demo you'll find some clips of how the device can be used.  I'm sure there are other brands out there, too, but that's the one I remember most.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 12/14/16 11:24:53PM
Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Do you have any experience with drum electronic devices or other types that provide backup rhythm

pros ànd cons?

updated by @paula-brawdy: 07/09/18 08:22:10PM