Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

marg:

susie,

( all walnut Bob Lazenby dulcimer )

I notice in your photo, the dulcimer looks like it takes up the whole table, how long is the VSL? I saw on your page, you have a Folks Roots, is it one with the 29" VSL? Is it hard on the hand & thumb going that short distance from a 27.5 or 28 to a 29'ish?

Marg,

My Bob Lazenby is a 28.5" VSL. The FolkRoots is a 27" VSL. I don't have any problem going from one to the other, but I have large hands too (for a girl). The FolkRoots/Folkcraft dulcimers can be ordered with whatever VSL you want (within a range). Very easy to do with Folkcraft's website and ordering process. They are very accomodating. You can even give them a call. Hope this helps.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

I have quite a few dulcimers, everything from 27", to my old Bill Davis at a 29 1/2" VSL ! I think it would be difficult switching up to that longer VSL if all you've played is the shorter, but or me, at this point I switch between them with no issues whatsoever.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

susie,

( all walnut Bob Lazenby dulcimer )

I notice in your photo, the dulcimer looks like it takes up the whole table, how long is the VSL? I saw on your page, you have a Folks Roots, is it one with the 29" VSL? Is it hard on the hand & thumb going that short distance from a 27.5 or 28 to a 29'ish?

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

(I love fixing them up! Makes it more personal)

I feel the same way, ha if I got a new dulcimer I would probably work on it anyway.

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

Congrats George. As I said in my earlier post, I'm quite impressed with my Bob Lazenby dulcimer. It really has a beautiful voice. Enjoy your new dulcimer!

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

So I picked up the Lazenby, It has the wooden friction pegs, which I am actually quite fond, a few minor dings and will need some serious TLC, will do before and after pics. Mostly minor issues with the finish ad a few scratches. Only has the lower f-holes, but otherwise sound. Just been neglected a long time, corroded strings etc.

I love fixing them up! Makes it more personal.

Susie
Susie
@susie
7 years ago
500 posts

I was gifted a beautiful, all walnut Bob Lazenby dulcimer this past summer. Excellent shape (was only played by a little old lady....really. Not much play from the looks of it.) I had my luthier do a complete set up on it and we are both quite impressed by it. Real nice tone and intonation. I love it. Mine is considered his "deluxe" model and is 10 years newer than that one in the eBay ad. It looks better (nicer wood, cleaner soundholes, etc.) and has Grover Sta-tite dulcimer tuners. So, maybe in those 10 years he refined his skills a bit. 

updated by @susie: 01/11/17 04:38:07PM
marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Just saw this

IMG_0102.PNG.jpg
IMG_0102.PNG.jpg  •  115KB

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

I've seen good feedback on random searches, anyone here own one? Reasonable price, looks to be in good condition.

updated by @george-desjardins: 01/15/17 08:55:30PM