Outfitting a Brit friend with a dulcimer, idea for accessories?

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

What an amazing and thoughtful gift~she will treasure it!  Did you also get a case?  That's the only other thing I can think of....

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

Your Brit friends probably haven't bought one of these economy fares, but in case it comes into question, ALL musicians should be aware that the new Economy Fares do not allow use of the overhead bins.   See my newly posted discussion on this:  http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/general-mountain-dulcimer-or-music-discussions/26492/new-airlines-rules-affect-those-traveling-with-instruments

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 02/16/17 01:45:18AM
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

I'm not absolutely sure how gifts are viewed by customs officials, but view it as something that should be checked before an unexpected expense crops up.  I think we had a discussion about this a few years ago here on fotmd but haven't been able to find it yet.

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

I'm not absslutely sure how gifts are viewed by customs officials, but view it as something that should be checked before an unexpected expense crops up.  I think we had a discussion about this a few years ago here on fotmd but haven't been able to find it yet.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Dan, I haven't. Since she didn't buy it, and would be carrying it on as carry on luggage, would that be a thing? They usually have a few gifts they bring back and they have never had an issue before. 

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

I hate to throw cold water on this wonderfully thoughtful idea, but, have you given any thought to the inport/export duties to be paid upon your friends return to the UK?

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
7 years ago
134 posts

Noter?

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Soon, hopefully in March, we have two London friends coming to visit. Last year, Lianne, picked up my dulcimer and just started playing...as in chords and intermediate songs. I was shocked and loved hearing her 'go to town' on my celtic songs, having had no lessons and no prior experience. 

I have purchased her a Little Mule soprano dulcimer so it will be easy to take back on the plane.

I'm wanting to put together some things for her to get her started. I'll get her a capo, some picks, some strings, but what else? Trying to find a Larkins book.  Any particular accessories I'm not thinking of?   She's going to be so excited! 

A tuner! Forgot about that!

Anything else? 

updated by @d-chitwood: 02/14/17 07:22:53AM