Back to the Luthier you go

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

I just now received a refund check for my sent-back dulcimer. The builder did find the issue, albeit, twas an odd issue he could fix by changing out bridges, and did so on several others he found with the same issue. They refunded my money minus the shipping. 

I realize I'm going to be a play it before I pay it kind of consumer from this point forward.....when the instrument is over $400.  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,126 posts

We all slip once in awhile -- a reputable dealer will take it back and give you your money back.

Dan
Dan
@dan
7 years ago
185 posts

I had a return a few years back. I forgot to install a 6+ staple!!!!! He mailed it back, I installed the staple and shipped it back to him. I paid for shipping and that I know of he didn't have a problem with the inconvenience. Warranty is life time on wood and play ability......

DAN

www.dulcimore.com

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

Have you ever had to send a dulcimer back as soon as you got it? WITHOUT NAMING BRANDS OR LUTHIERS, I was curious what caused you to send one back and was the return policy one you could live with.

I just received a dulcimer on Friday and the intonation was off on the bass string on many frets and there was just a funny 'off' sound every time I strummed. It wasn't cheap so I sent it back. (Also since I had mentioned earlier I had ordered a Sweetwoods baritone, I wanted to clarify this was NOT the sweetwoods baritone) 

I'm hoping the maker will refund my funds and not make a fuss. I just know I wouldn't play it. 

Again, without naming names, what has been your experience with sendback?