Slit in Strum Hollow? What is the reason?

Joe Madl
Joe Madl
@joe-madl
2 years ago
2 posts

I have two lovely Jack Lyle dulcimers and one has a slit longer than the one in yours and the other has none. It is most likely an additional sound hole, perhaps is presence and/or size has to do with the woods used and whether or not it needed more volume?

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
389 posts

Maybe it's a slot to lose your pick down...?  grin    No?  Then it's probably a soundhole. 

Virginia dulcimers in particular were bad to have small round soundholes drilled all over them.

But I believe Jack Lyle is/was a dulcimer builder from Waynesville, NC.  I visited him in his Balsam Gallery many moons ago. 

He had a thing for maple leaf soundholes and red stain, which were beautiful.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,126 posts

The area under the slit is hollowed out, and the top underneath that is undoubtedly open to that cavity.  Like other hollowed fretboards, there is a major weight-loss when hollowing, and some indication of improved acoustics as well.  The slit is, no doubt, just the builder's way of being different rather than just adding round holes.

HD Luers
HD Luers
@hd-luers
7 years ago
7 posts

John Gribble:

Actually, it isn't a dulcimer--It's a piggy bank! grin

Sorry about that. I couldn't resist. Actually I believe it is a sound hole. My Kevin Messenger teardrop has two round ones, one in the hollow, the other in the fret board area between the first and second frets. 

haha. I should have guessed that! Thanks for your insight too.

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
7 years ago
124 posts

Actually, it isn't a dulcimer--It's a piggy bank! grin

Sorry about that. I couldn't resist. Actually I believe it is a sound hole. My Kevin Messenger teardrop has two round ones, one in the hollow, the other in the fret board area between the first and second frets. 

HD Luers
HD Luers
@hd-luers
7 years ago
7 posts

It is a dulcimer made by Jack Lyle if that helps. Just have never seen one have a slit in that before? Anybody know? Thanks

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg  •  39KB