Travels of a Plectrum Handcrafted Fyhrie Dulcimer

Diesel
Diesel
@diesel
3 years ago
6 posts

Long Suffering Wife and I have passed by the Plectrum Dulcimer shoppe in Laguna Canyon every Summer since we got married (1984), on our way to the Laguna Arts Festival.  A couple of years ago we drove in to see if it was still there; the wooden sign out front is, but the shop wasn't.  But I've been hankering for one of their dulcimers since and I finally got one today on Ebay.  A nice, early on, late 1970's looker with a different headstock from the others I've seen, more of a curve to it.  Anyway, if you google Jim Fyhrie you will come up with a couple of very nice pieces on Jim, including a write-up in the LA Times.  I'm only sorry we didn't stop in earlier.  Jim sounds like a good guy to know.  

Judith
Judith
@judith
5 years ago
3 posts

Strumelia:

I find it interesting that no year date was put on the label.  How did you know it was made in 1980?

Hi Strumelia and thanks for your comments.

The label has the serial number 81480.  Initially I thought this was rather high, even if you include the hammered dulcimers that Jim Fyhrie made, then wondered if it was the date in US format (not quite the same way round here in the UK).  I managed to track down an email for Jim, now in Arkansas, who kindly responded and confirmed that it was the date for 14th August 1980.

I know my chances of adding to its story are incredibly slim but then again no harm in being optimistic. nod

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,248 posts

What a nice job you did in cleaning and stringing that, Judith!  Looks like it'd be a perfect baritone dulcimer (30"vsl!)

A handsome dulcimer!

I find it interesting that no year date was put on the label.  How did you know it was made in 1980?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/27/19 03:27:11PM
Judith
Judith
@judith
5 years ago
3 posts

I realise that this a long shot but I wondered if anyone had met my latest dulcimer purchase in its 38 year journey from Laguna, California to a charity ship in Keynsham near Bristol , UK.

I took a chance on what seemed to be a somewhat neglected instrument, as it was for a good cause and it would give me a chance to practice my dulcimer maintenance - applying Dr Duck's Ax Wax and Howards Feed 'n Wax and Citrus Oil (as seen in recommendations here on FOTMD) and restringing as a baritone according to Strothers' string guide (thanks to FOTMD contributors again).

After all this, it has turned out to be a rather lovely instrument:

·         mahogany with spruce soundboard

·         30" VSL

·         now set up as four equidistant strings (double melody optional)

·         no 6+ fret

·         IMHO nicely resonant and a joy to play

I know that this one was made by Jim Fyhrie for 'EC Snowden' in August 1980 and it would be lovely to know if anyone here can add any steps to the story of its journey.

PHD label.jpg
PHD label.jpg  •  224KB

PHD crop small.JPG
PHD crop small.JPG  •  638KB

updated by @judith: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM