Working with Tropical Woods

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
5 years ago
134 posts

Thanks Bob. :)  I have some other requests involving tropicals so I need to be assured of quality finishes.  

updated by @kusani: 03/07/19 09:41:40PM
Bob
Bob
@bob
5 years ago
86 posts

That's a beauty for sure! I imagine your customer is very happyjive

If you do want to finish Bloodwood, or any oily tropical hardwood, you can simply wipe it down with some acetone to remove the surface oils. Then apply a thin coat/swipe of Shellac. Then, you're set to go with the poly!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,084 posts

Wow, really nice figured rosewood. It is a beautiful instrument.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
5 years ago
134 posts

Thanks folks. I normally am asked by clients for walnut, maple, and/or cherry; sometimes cedar and others. The weight of this build was considerably heavier but it definately did not affect the sound in a negative manner what-so-ever. 

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

Those are some beautiful woods, Kusani...you built a sharp looking dulcimer there!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

You've built a lovely instrument, Kusani! 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,727 posts

looks beautiful!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
5 years ago
134 posts

This commissioned piece was built of Rosewood, Bloodwood, and Satinwood; the wood was provided by the client. I found out, after the fact, that rosewood does not like polyurethane; should have googled it first.  However, was able to remove the poly and successfully replace with two coats of polish and all is well. dulcimer

#21c.jpg
#21c.jpg  •  158KB

#21b.jpg
#21b.jpg  •  156KB

#21a.jpg
#21a.jpg  •  116KB

updated by @kusani: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM