4-string dulcimer DADB tuning (5th and a 3rd)

Garret
Garret
@garret-olberding
5 years ago
10 posts

Yes, I am aware of Janita Baker's DAA#d tuning.  What I was trying to achieve with the DADb tuning is to allow my fretting hand to add more complex chordal arrangements and harmonic flourishes to music that is tabulated DAD while also allowing me to strum (and not just pinch the DAD notes, as Baker's tuning would require).  

granto
@granto
5 years ago
9 posts

Janita Baker developed a method of playing chromatically by tuning to DAA#D. I have a four string chromatic dulcimer I tuned to DGAD. I used it to arrange Rondo Alla Turca, as best I could with four strings.

Garret
Garret
@garret-olberding
5 years ago
10 posts

Thanks, Ken!  I've joined quite a few, including some of the ones you recommended.  Hopefully I'll find some with similar bents.  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Hi Garret;

You might want to check the list of Groups here and see if there are some groups aligned with your interest.  There are groups for 4 strings, baritone dulcimers, classical music, and many more that you may find of interest.

You can read some of a groups posts.  But to see everything and reply to posts you need to Join the Group by clicking on the button at the top of the discussion.

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/25/19 07:08:34AM
Garret
Garret
@garret-olberding
5 years ago
10 posts

Hello, All!  After a very long absence, I have returned!  I am a classically trained pianist and am very drawn to the harmonic (or even inharmonic) complexity of classical music.  That's not to say I'm not interested in various kinds of music—I am.  But I am excited most by novel harmonies and chordal structures.  Because of this, I purchased two McSpaddens, one with the 1+ and 8+ frets and one chromatic.  (My McSpaddens also allow me to convert them from the standard string arrangement to a baritone string arrangement without much trouble.)  I've also bought a lot of tabulature (for three strings) but have found much of it too simple in its harmonic structures (and very simple to play, too).  I played around with various tunings on my semi-diatonic dulcimer using only three strings but have found that still somewhat limited.  I thus have focused more on trying to use a 4-string arrangement (with a DADB tuning, employing a 5th and a 3rd).  Anyone tried using a four-string arrangement, playing more complex harmonies?  I'll be grateful for any feedback!!  Thanks!