Any Advice on the McSpadden Sweet Song Kit?

dave3831
@dave3831
5 years ago
2 posts
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,111 posts

Once glue joints are clamped, wipe away squeezed out glue, with a soggy wet paper towel,  all along the joints while the glue is still soft.

Glue your "maker's label" under a rear sound hole before you glue the top on!

updated by @ken-hulme: 06/11/19 03:03:25PM
Skip
Skip
@skip
5 years ago
359 posts

I did one many years ago. Check the fit of the tuner head and check the fretboard for straightness/flatness. Dry fit before gluing. Remember to install the frets before gluing the top on. Don't dent the frets when installing with a hammer [pressing them in is my preference], use a metal spacer after getting them started [I use a metal lathe square cutting bit].

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
5 years ago
385 posts

Yes, Dave, I've made several of this very kit over the years.  They are very easy to put together if you take your time and follow directions.  The resulting dulcimer is a fine looking and sounding instrument.

dave3831
@dave3831
5 years ago
2 posts

My McSpadden Sweet Song kit arrived in the mail this week.

I've read through the directions for building the dulcimer from the kit, and I've found a couple of folks online who have posted photos and general info about building the kit.

The directions and the process seem straightforward enough.

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this particular kit and might be able to offer any advice before I get started.