Need info re AR Kern dulcimers

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts
Appreciate all the input. I'm a newborn in the dulcimer world, but already in love!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,124 posts

@Gstringer -- Notice how Robin's Kern has the smaller bout at the tuning end of things where yours is the reverse.  Makes no difference, and it is unique; and if it plays well that's what matters!

Yep -- I've been a Personal Chef off and on for the last 20 years.  It's another aspect of my creativity; and you can eat your mistakes (unless they're really bad)!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

@Gstringer The instrument is, surely, not "high end" yet it's a great little instrument.  The wood itself is light in weight and the color is a stain.  Plays well and has a nice timbre.  Enjoy your Kern! 

EDIT: Yes, Mr Kern's initials and last name are on the back of the headstock, written using some type of electric tool. 

updated by @robin-thompson: 07/11/19 01:13:02PM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts
Wow, Robin! Yours is gorgeous. Mine is more rustic. It has AR Kern carved or stamped on the headstock. Appreciate your response and playing.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

A video with the A.R. kern mountain dulcimer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

temp_ning_photo_file.jpg @gstringer Ambrose Kern made really nice-sounding dulcimers-- I own one, a gift from a music friend.  Mr Kern lived and built in West Virginia.  I have a video or two in which playing the Kern. temp_ning_photo_file.jpg

Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts
Hello, again. I went to your page, and see your are in culinary arts in addition to your dulcimer expertise. My husband is a French chef. We just retired and closed our restaurant here in Green Valley. Music and food . . . a great combo.
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts
Thanks for the info. It plays very nicely. Has a mellow tone, but good volume.
Haven't been to the Titan site in years! It's a very interesting museum.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,124 posts

The image in your Avatar is still the standard FOTMD dulcimer...

However, I went to your page, and the dulcimer is there.  Not being able to zoom in and pick up tiny details, I'll say this:

The only time I've seen the forward bout of an hourglass that is longer and wider than the rear bout is when someone assembled a kit dulcimer "backwards".  The rear bout is almost invariably wider if not both wider and longer (waist to end) than the forward bout.  

The diamond scroll sound holes are nicely done.  The antiqued finish also well done.  Best guess though is that this is a kit instrument that was accidentally assembled backwards.  As long as it plays easily and sounds good, that's what really matters. 

On another note, how are things at the Titan Missile Museum?  The first time I was down that way it was still active (but we could no have talked about it then).

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/11/19 07:14:11AM
Gstringer
Gstringer
@gstringer
5 years ago
33 posts

bought a used dulcimer marked AR Kern on the back of the headstock. I’m using an image of it as my photo. Anyone have info about him/her?

updated by @gstringer: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM