How do you folk involve your Baritone dulcimer with others?

5kwkdw3
@5kwkdw3
4 years ago
31 posts

Thanks Susie.  Tracking number has it coming this next Tuesday.  I can't wait!

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts
That's a beauty! I ordered mine with the galax back too. Enjoy!
5kwkdw3
@5kwkdw3
4 years ago
31 posts

Dusty, you came through again for me!  I hadn't even looked into the "groups" section of the forum and as you suggested, I joined the Baritone Group and boy that has everything I've been bugging you all about.  Thanks again and I'm going to try to post a pic that Ron Ewing sent me just before he put my instrument in the mail.......  I thought that the picture would come up in the text, but the link attachment should do the trick?  Maybe I did that wrong, but have a look as it's beautiful as are all of Ron's builds.  Look close and you'll see the Galax back as well as the six strings.  I asked for all to be unison, but Ron said that on the bass course, two of those rather thick string would be buzzing if placed together so on the bass course it has an octave pairing.  I may decide to do the same with the middle course after I get it, but???  Time and sound will tell.  Kevin.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Kevin, there are a few books of duets for standard and baritone dulcimers.  I know @LarryConger has one, as does Shelley Stevens.  Larry is a member here so you could contact him directly with any questions.

But this is the kind of question the Baritone Group would really help with, so once again, I urge you to join that group and seek guidance there.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
5kwkdw3
@5kwkdw3
4 years ago
31 posts

Thanks Dusty!  That was very informative.  I've had some "previous" bad luck with capos.  Specifically on the dulcimer I refer too, it had a relative short fretboard height off the sound board.  The capo I was using had to really hug the top of the dulcimer in order to "fret" the strings enough.  Long story short, somewhere along the line I ended up pushing in dimples (rather unsightly ones at that) in the side of the fretboard.  But I do see where you're going and appreciate the information.  I do sort of want a dulcimer/baritone dulcimer book of tab since my wife has expressed renewed interest in learning the instrument.  That would be ideal for me if my wife and I could play some tunes.  I was thinking that if there were written "duet" music for the two, then the parts for the baritone might be slower for one and easy as well?  Maybe I'll have to dust of my staff book and write my own parts as I did way back when for my church?  My newer (already 3 years old) computer and an early copy of Finale music notation software didn't like each other and the Finale folks couldn't offer a compatible upgrade.  They did offer to sell me a new version though, hah.  With it I could scan in standard notation music and change keys and then convert it to dulcimer tab.  Boy how I miss that program.  Thanks again.  Kevin.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Hi @5Kwkdw3,

First, let me point out that there is a whole group here devoted to baritones, and the most recent discussion there is about how to tune to play with others. You might consider joining the Baritone Group and carrying on this discussion there.

It appears you are not principally interested in playing with other dulcimer players, but in playing with other instruments more generally. The basic issue, as I think you understand, is determining the key you will be playing in. 

If you tune your baritone to GDg, playing in the key of G will be easiest.  You can also tune AEa and play in the key of A.  If you are tuned GDg and you capo at the third fret, you will be in the key of C, and at the fourth fret you will be in the key of D.  If you are tuned AEa, you can get the key of D with a capo at the 4th fret and E with a capo at the 5th fret.

So just with those two 1-5-8 tunings, you can easily play in the keys of A, C, D, E, and G.

If you have a 1.5 fret, there are other possibilities as well, and depending on your string gauges you might be able tune a bit higher than A or lower than G.  Be careful, though, tuning too high since you may break a string. 

There is some tab for baritones, but you don't need it.  If you are in a 1-5-8 tuning such as GDg, you can use all the tab for dulcimers tuned DAd.  You will simply be playing in G instead of D, but the tab will still work.  I tab everything out in DAd, but I often play that stuff tuned EBe or CGc or GDg or AEa, and sometimes a half step lower or higher than those tunings depending on my mood.

By the way, I see you have a Probst dulcimer in your picture. I, too, have a Probst, and it is currently strung as a baritone!

If you are not familiar with capos, take a look at this video . I posted it about two years ago in response to a similar question here at FOTMD. I demonstrate the capo on a standard dulcimer tuned DAd, but hopefully you'll get the point.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/23/20 02:25:53PM
5kwkdw3
@5kwkdw3
4 years ago
31 posts

Thanks Susie for your comments.  That's also pretty much the case with me (playing solo), but from time to time I do come across a guitar, violin, etc. that I'd like to play with.  It was playing for my church that I think was my first reason to tune everything in G.  Not so much for the other instruments, but for me.  (I didn't have to think that much).  I did a fair amount of the "arranging" for the instrumentalists who'd play together so I appreciated making it simple for myself.  The most difficult was when a young college student wanted to join in but had a trombone.  I forget now what it was keyed in, but remember it was a "head scratcher" for me to pen his part.  Kevin.

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Kevin, welcome back. I remember corresponding with you about our Olympia Walkabout Dulcimers. I have a Folkcraft Custom Baritone, tuned to A. I haven't yet sat down to try to play with others. For me, it's about my personal use and loving the lower tones in all the standard tunes. So, I use my regular music when playing my baritione. 

I have read a few articles that may help. Just google "playing baritone dulcimer with standard dulcimers". Hope this helps.

updated by @susie: 01/24/20 08:12:01AM
5kwkdw3
@5kwkdw3
4 years ago
31 posts

Howdy All:  First, my apologies for not being around for quite some time.  A move, health issues, hobby cancellations, etc. have finally lead me back to the dulcimer and a couple new instruments.  YEAH!  My latest is again from Ron Ewing and is a Baritone.  It's a six string in his "Aorell" body shape.  It along with my other Ewing are both in the 1-5-8 tuning, but both are in G.  So that I guess, puts my baritone a full step lower than normal and my dulcimer a 5th? lower than normal.  I'm weird I guess?  Other instruments are a banjo and mandolin so the key of G made sense to me.

I was wondering though, what folk normally did (excuse my above tunings) with your baritone to play with others?  Also is there any known tablature out there written specifically for a baritone dulcimer?  When I learned my first musical instrument in grade school (clarinet), my brother and I had several duet books written specifically for the clarinet.  I thought that would be perfect if such a book existed for a standard dulcimer and for the baritone.  Any thoughts?  Kevin.