Anyone own a Beede bass dulcimer?

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
4 years ago
28 posts

Thanks Dusty. Yes, I have a few fretless Ubasses and used to play the 'cello and violin. I've played "skinny" instruments before and sometimes they are really tricky to hold. I don't know how Aaron can hold that at his normal angle - you'd think it would be awkward? Maybe if it's held flat, or on a stand, it would be just fine. I like the poly strings (the tone) - but the price sure went up lately!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

That's a good question, Jill. If you check out this video , you see Aaron O'Rourke playing the bass dulcimer (he takes a solo just after 2:00). He is not laying the instrument flat on his lap, but has it angled up, with the foot of the dulcimer resting securely against his body.

I have never played a fretless instrument, so if I were buying one of these for myself I would get the acu-fretless model since it would be easier to get accurate intonation.  If you have experience playing stringed instruments like the cello or have played fretless basses, the plain fretless would probably be fine.

It sure looks fun to play!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/26/20 09:43:23PM
Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
4 years ago
28 posts

Hi all. Does anyone have experience with the Beede bass dulcimer? Would love to know your opinion. Because it's so narrow it looks like it would be 'unstable' if held on your lap? Have you compared the fretless model vs. the acu-fretless? Thanks!