marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Pete,

Thought you might be interested in something like this, since it will be on line maybe it's something you could do. With Jerry having a workshop it might be something like what you are trying out now - sounds & delays          https://www.nutmegdulcimer.com/

Nutmeg Festival will be ONLINE this year.   Lots of  instructors - One mention , Jerry Rockwell   (   Jerry Rockwell Dulcimer TEDX Talk

updated by @marg: 06/09/20 09:12:44PM
marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Still a long way to go but a short  flute'ish try of   'Shenandoah' on dulcimer with the EBow

Dan Evans was a wonderful help when I got the GT-1. I had hear him play "The Water is Wide' with it and when Harvey, the hurricane was coming I decided that was just what I needed - while I would be stuck inside from the rain & the flooding. Kinda like with the EBow now , I just wished I would have gotten it as soon as we went on 'stay @ home' (lockdown).

I do hope you continue to give it a try. I do like to experiment & i find using effects have their place at times. I just have the GT-1 & the EBow but that's enough for now. I also find it's a good way to practice since, I will play a song many times trying to create a sound for it. I play with a group and I never use a pick up or amp so, I do enjoy playing around some when I'm home. Let me  know also how you are making out & any interesting effects you come up with or where you may use them.

Take care,

marg.

Pete Answer
Pete Answer
@pete-answer
4 years ago
2 posts

Very interesting to read your comments and see your video. You have inspired me to have another go at using effects with my dulcimer.

I have used a Myers pickup and fed this through my Line 6 Pod HD500X (which I imagine is similar to your Boss GT-1).

I am getting some nice sounds with a little delay, chorus and smart harmony. Must have a go with the Pitch Glide effect.

There is certainly plenty of inspiration out there. Apart from your own Sam Edleston, who is very prolific as a member of this group, there are some British members - Duncan Gibbs and Dan Evans. Apart from on this site they can be found using effects on the dulcimer if you search YouTube for English Dulcimer (for Dan Evans) and Duncan Gibbs Dulcimer.
I have not put links here as I think it is against the site rules as they are not my videos.

Dan Evans also has a website, which has an article on amplification and effects which might interest you

https://www.english-dulcimer.com/amplification-effects-for-dulcimers-part-2/

Good luck with your experiments. I would be interested to hear how you get on.

PS - I just came across an article which you might also find interesting. I wonder if it would work with the dulcimer?

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/conjure-dark-side-of-the-moon-tones-with-the-vibraslide-glass-slide-and-controller?utm_content=buffer2309b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer_gfb&fbclid=IwAR3gnRza59aPmMIs_baeoVrlGfwaCBmPIOHeIFTFmXhH9L0T_iTs1zSUMxQ

Best wishes

Pete

marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Thanks for replying, the EBow even with it's problems and not meant for the dulcimer does let one experiment.

I received a reply form Jerry Rockwell which was pretty exciting. I was able to move my melody string over - I have a floating bridge & not notched so it wasn't hard to do & now I have the melody & middle strings lined up with the grove of the EBow. I'm deciding not to move the bass string over because, so far I haven't liked the sound I get on it with the EBow. But I do like it with the GT-1 when I strum with a pick. 

I don't mind just playing 1 string, I have the EBow on the middle A string and playing more like noter style but with my fingers. Having the dulcimer hooked up to the GT-1 I am able to get different sounds & tones, not the same as if I was strumming but as an interesting experiment. My idea - having a piece of music played in A (on the middle string) with the EBow sounding like a flute then changing out to a DAd tab & strumming - maybe something like 'Shenandoah'

In 'The Gift of Love'      https://youtu.be/MHQl_AvIk_o     (you tube said error so maybe try this) 

I play first in A on the middle string then switch to DAd. Thinking something like this but with the EBow first

Thanks again,

m.

updated by @marg: 06/04/20 02:55:45PM
Pete Answer
Pete Answer
@pete-answer
4 years ago
2 posts

I hadn't thought of trying to use my EBow on the dulcimer so gave it a go.

I'm afraid that I cannot offer any advice on moving the strings to fit the grooves as I would not like to disturb the spacing I currently use, but it is possible to use the EBow holding it slightly above the strings.

The sound is quite different to normal dulcimer playing and even more so if you also use a guitar slide rather than fretting the string. I do not think you can get the range of sounds that are possible with a guitar as on a guitar the EBow is normally moved over the magnetic pickups to alter the sound.

I don't think I would buy one just to play with the dulcimer but some may find the possibilities interesting. One problem with it of course is that the EBow only works on one string at a time so it is not possible to play chords and difficult to move quickly from one string to another. Although I do not have one, something like a Fernandez Sustainer pickup might work.

marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

I  contacted (Ambient bass looping #3, Graham Blanche (aka BassBus)  a guitar player) after listening to one of his youtube recordings. He helped me figure that maybe I could move one of my strings over. so the EBow would ride in the grove of the EBow. He said he also has trouble with spacing & sometimes needs to tilt the EBow.

So I moved my melody string over a bit, it was just sitting on top of a floating bridge - so wasn't  hard to make a small adjustment without needing to do any bridge adjustments. Now, I just need to figured out how to move the bass string over some also, without messing up the spacing I have now. 

I know trying an EBow isn't something a dulcimer player would usually do but Jerry Rockwell did & after listening to him, I did want to give it a try.  I was hoping since so many members know so much about the dulcimer, someone could have help me figure out my problem or the idea of moving the string over to  fit in the grove bottom. But now that I maybe have it figured out, I am just sharing what I learn in case anyone else would want to give the EBow a try.

Just another way of playing the dulcimer - but without the strum of a pick. I do like to Experiment -Try - Ask - Share

marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Does anyone know about the EBow? Has anyone used it on the dulcimer?

It is a hand-held electronic bow for guitars. This small  unit replaces the pick in the right hand.  With a   pickup, i t's  magnetic field on a single string causes the string to vibrate. Like a violin bow.

The problem:   

The spacing of dulcimer strings is different then guitar strings. 

Any suggestions on how an EBow can work on a dulcimer? 

Jerry Rockwell did a TED Event 'Strouds Run' 

(About 9:30'ish in the video he demonstrates using an EBow). It looks like he has it  titled  and not riding the strings on the bottom's grooves. 

I wasn't sure if maybe I would need to move my strings to fit the grooves. 

Also can the sound change somewhat or would it always have a similar sound since it's just reading the magnetic field?

Would the dulcimer be able to reproduce the different techniques like a guitar or would it be limited?

Any Ideas?

( The EBow rides on two strings, straddling the one you're playing which is not touched by the EBow. Push the EBow against these support strings and the drive channel comes closer to the string that you're bowing intensifying the drive field for more string vibration. Less pressure or tilting the EBow away from the string decreases this drive.)