Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I was able to locate one instrument sold to someone in Midland Michigan, but I can't seem to locate a photo of the one you mention here (even though there are several comments about how great it looks!) so I can't compare by looks.  The one in the log is #4815 and can be viewed online.  I'm assuming this is NOT the one you have, since this entry is for a 4-string. This one is also one of his later ones, while it sounds like the one you have is one of his earliest. 

Jan Potts (former Midlander, now resident of Lexington, KY...about 15 min. from Winchester, KY)

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 07/30/15 02:45:18PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,434 posts

Love the looks of that 3-stringed Ledford! Congratulations on your great find, Curtis.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
420 posts

Great find, Curtis. Looks like a wonderful instrument

Rob

Sam
Sam
@sam
12 years ago
169 posts

I really like the looks of that Ledford dulcimer. Congrats on a fantastic find. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
12 years ago
15 posts

I recently obtained an unnumbered Ledford dulcimer which came from a thrift store in Midland, Michigan. It looks identical to the Ivyton TN dulcimers on the Ledford site.

[ http://www.backroombluegrassband.com/hlccweb/instruments/storiesandpics.htm ]

It has walnut sides, scroll, fingerboard, and endblock, with pine-like top and back. The pegs, end pin, and perhaps the two nuts, are a lovely, light butterscotch-colored wood which seems to have a slightly mellower grain than maple. The scroll is slender and untapered; the whole instrument is light and responsive. The frets are wire staples under the first two strings only, however the placement is faulty: mostly flat until the upper notes which are sharper. I was able to render it playable, at least in the lower range, by shortening the string length with an additional nut at the distal end, though the first fret is still Very flat. It is signed under the lower left diamond soundhole, in pencil, directly on the back: [Made By/ Homer C Ledford/ Winchester, Ky.].

I sent all the information and pictures to the site but, considering how infrequently it is updated, I thought I would mention it here and see if anyone else has additional info that would help me place it in time. There is, evidently, a log book of Ledford's dulcimers and the woods and style should narrow it down; if Midland MI was the home of the original owner that would cinch it.

updated by @curtis-carlisle-bouterse: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM