Guitar project

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Funny thing, I played a bunch of 12 fret Taylor guitars today at our local store. They have more bass and a bit more volume than their 14 fret siblings. Like I need another, I have 5 Taylors now (after selling a 6th one)

updated by @susie: 01/28/20 09:14:48PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,084 posts

Thank you Susie and Robin. I've never had a 12 fret guitar and didn't want another dreadnaught. This one is based on the Martin 00 design. It will be a steel string guitar. I'll post photos when I finish it and may play a few chords so you can hear how it sounds.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 01/28/20 08:16:18PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

Wow, Ken, that looks really good-- I should know because there are lots of its relatives around our house here.  :) Mark really likes his 12-fret design guitars. I look forward to seeing further photos!  

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

That looks great Ken. Is it going to have nylon strings? I see it is a 12 fret. I bet it will be a fun little parlor guitar when you are done. Keep us posted. Would love to see it when it's done.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,084 posts

Back in 2015 I asked my luthier friend if he would help me build a guitar. He agreed and I started work. Over the last four years there have been many interruptions due to illness, travel, and my friend remodeling his house and using his shop for storage space. I've been back at it recently and today we set the place for the bridge and saddle. Here are three photos of where I am on this project. After taking the photos I took the neck off and pore filled the neck. I also did a final sanding on the body before it enters the spray booth later this week or early next week. The body will be nitrocellulose lacquer while the neck will be finished with Tru-oil. As you can see more frets need to be added to the fret board which will happen when the neck is permanently attached to the body. While all this is going on I am restoring two PA German zitters and continuing to build a couple of dulcimers.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg  •  145KB

IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4205.jpeg  •  140KB

IMG_4206.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg  •  150KB